Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta is getting sporty

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m feeling pretty good about not having that Georgia Tech job right now...
    Whooa now - I am GT Class of 1983. They have been having a lot of issues at the urban campus but not politically correct to discuss.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Taking that area back is going to result in a lot of force being used. The Mayor and the Chief better understand that and they need to get the DA in line. It ain’t going to pretty but it’s what’s going to be needed. But the brave killers of eight year old girls will probably scatter when the armored cars and SWAT operators arrive.
    I think sustaining the peace in that area long term will be much more daunting task than the initial clearance of makeshift barricades.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm pretty sure Coyotesfan97 understands what a DA is, and the usual relationship between the various elected officials as it pertains to law enforcement.

Perhaps more than you, it seems.
    Rock on with your bad self. I’m sure he’s glad you’re white knighting for him.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    You’re absolutely right the Mayor and the Chief of Police have no authority over the elected DA but who runs the biggest metro area in Fulton County? Whose Metro voter pool will be voting for the next DA in the upcoming election when the current DA is already a lame duck. The Mayor can influence decisions.

If the Mayor decides an area needs to be taken back the Chief and the Union tell her we can’t do that with Officers who believe the DA is looking to charge them for UoF, the Mayor makes a phone call, and politics happen. That’s what I mean by being brought in line.
    I’m tracking. Thanks for the clarification.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Just got a news alert that the Georgia governor has declared a state of emergency over the shootings in Atlanta.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    It would appear the Wendy's standoff resolved; city crews seem to be removing barriers:

https://twitter.com/BillyHeathFOX5/s...66986983538691
    Resolved? It ain’t even dark yet.....

I hope it is, but my Pa always told me to hope in one hand, shit in the other and see which one fills up faster.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Just got a news alert that the Georgia governor has declared a state of emergency over the shootings in Atlanta.
    Wow. State of Emergency from shenanigans in...Atlanta? I'm in FL, so I'm not sure how this works in Georgia. Generally this means for us that the Gov has certain powers e.g. in the event of a Hurricane (I think.)

What would be the net effect on this declaration in GA? Does this permit him to do something substantive, or is this more symbolic?

EDIT: Found this. Yikes.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...cy-due-to-viol

EDIT 2 : I'd say Mayor Bottoms goose is cooked as far as a VP pick is concerned. How the hell can you trust her to run the country when she can't even manage a large vibrant city like Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Wow. State of Emergency from shenanigans in...Atlanta? I'm in FL, so I'm not sure how this works in Georgia. Generally this means for us that the Gov has certain powers e.g. in the event of a Hurricane (I think.)

What would be the net effect on this declaration in GA? Does this permit him to do something substantive, or is this more symbolic?

EDIT: Found this. Yikes.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...cy-due-to-viol
    "This measure will allow troops to protect state property and dispatch state law enforcement officers to patrol our streets. Enough with the tough talk," he added. "We must protect the lives and livelihoods of all Georgians."

The Guardsmen will be assigned to protect state buildings, including the Capitol, the governor's mansion, and the headquarters for the Department of Public Safety. Their presence will free police officers to increase patrols on roadways and in communities, especially in Atlanta, Kemp said.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/georgia-g...anta-shootings

Good for Governor Abrams.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Good for Governor Abrams.
    I see what you did there.........

User Tag List