Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta is getting sporty

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Some protestors scumbags vandalized Georgia State Patrol’s Atlanta HQ

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/geo...GF4KRH3BB7DRM/

There was a chase in Atlanta by GSP earlier this week, which I’m betting is what prompted the attack on the Atlanta HQ

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/ful...MJLJKU3QXZYKQ/
    GSP HQs is off formerly named Confederate Ave - now renamed. Building is easily accessible from major avenue of approach. In one of those Atlanta areas that is attempting to gentrify. GA NG HQ was there on the same property until we moved it 10 or so years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    What could possibly have precipitated this? Wrong turn? Sorry, this parking lot is closed? Serious WTF here. I hope those responsible fry.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Atlanta is getting sporty

Have they started deploying social workers in lieu of sworn LE in Atlanta to active calls for service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    What could possibly have precipitated this? Wrong turn? Sorry, this parking lot is closed? Serious WTF here. I hope those responsible fry.
    That is exactly what precipitated this:

A person is smart, “people” are dumb panicky, dangerous animals who are emboldened in packs.

This is why tolerating bullshit from criminals posing as “protestors” is simply the first step towards something like this inevitably happens, and not “a fine line.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That is exactly what precipitated this:

A person is smart, “people” are dumb panicky, dangerous animals who are emboldened in packs.

This is why tolerating bullshit from criminals posing as “protestors” is simply the first step towards something like this inevitably happens, and not “a fine line.”
    You keep shifting the goalposts on me, H, and trying to use the "fine line" argument against me.

That said, what I was discussing yesterday, when I used that term, was a Constitutional matter, and this is not at all equivalent, and you appear to be trying to make it seem that through my apparent myopia I would somehow condone actions that lead to this. The Constitution does not justify criminal behavior in the Bill of Rights. Nor have I. Period. Never have.

Not only isn't it a fair assessment, it's frankly insulting and something I'd expect more from the other side via their attempts to saddle people with differing points of view with negative labels when there is no basis.

I guess I haven't communicated who I am or what I stand for very well in the past four years here.

I'm disappointed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You keep shifting the goalposts on me, H, and trying to use the "fine line" argument against me.

That said, what I was discussing yesterday, when I used that term, was a Constitutional matter, and this is not at all equivalent, and you appear to be trying to make it seem that through my apparent myopia I would somehow condone actions that lead to this. The Constitution does not justify criminal behavior in the Bill of Rights. Nor have I. Period. Never have.

Not only isn't it a fair assessment, it's frankly insulting and something I'd expect more from the other side via their attempts to saddle people with differing points of view with negative labels when there is no basis.

I guess I haven't communicated who I am or what I stand for very well in the past four years here.

I'm disappointed.
    I don’t think you condone it, and I never said you did but you should not be at all surprised by it.

Maybe you’ve forgotten what “people” plural are like. I wouldn’t blame you for wanting to.

I believe you want the perpetrators to fry but I would have rather prevented it, and the collective “we” could have.

It’s all one thing. The CHOP in Seattle, the pink Polo guy, the various car vs protestor incidents, the mess in Atlanta, they are just variations of the same thing.

This girl’s murder didn’t “just happen.” Just like the shooting of the 60 year old driver in Provo, UT, and the murder of the two black teens at Seattle’s CHOP zones is the direct and predictable result of failing to take action early.

The constitution protects and balances everyone’s rights. Letting crimes slide in the name of the rioters constitutional rights impinges in the rights of all the other citizens who are impacted.

From a human behavior POV you can’t let rioters slide because they are only a little bit criminal and then express surprise at how something like this happens.

Like fire, crime is opportunistic and starts small. Failing to address rioters engaging in trespassing, vandalism and property damage feeds it leading to the de facto “no go” or autonomous zones like the one around the Brooks Wendy’s in Atlanta, creating opportunity for arson, assault , assault and murder.

The Atlanta Wendy’s no go zone hasn’t gotten attention like the CHOP in Seattle because the people holding it are only interested in power, not political posturing.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-05-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    There are shootings on Atlanta almost every day. Common quick news article on the news every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    There are shootings on Atlanta almost every day. Common quick news article on the news every day.
    I think this one is relevant because the (disputed) story put out by a city council member is that the car turned into the burned Wendy’s parking lot and was engaged by protestors.

Edit to add: the evidence so far points to the councilman being correct.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don’t think you condone it, and I never said you did but you should not be at all surprised by it.

Maybe you’ve forgotten what “people” plural are like. I wouldn’t blame you for wanting to.

I believe you want the perpetrators to fry but I would have rather prevented it, and the collective “we” could have.

It’s all one thing. The CHOP in Seattle, the pink Polo guy, the various car vs protestor incidents, the mess in Atlanta, they are just variations of the same thing.

This girl’s murder didn’t “just happen.” Just like the shooting of the 60 year old driver in Provo, UT, and the murder of the two black teens at Seattle’s CHOP zones is the direct and predictable result of failing to take action early.

The constitution protects and balances everyone’s rights. Letting crimes slide in the name of the rioters constitutional rights impinges in the rights of all the other citizens who are impacted.

From a human behavior POV you can’t let rioters slide because they are only a little bit criminal and then express surprise at how something like this happens.

Like fire, crime is opportunistic and starts small. Failing to address rioters engaging in trespassing, vandalism and property damage feeds it leading to the de facto “no go” or autonomous zones like the one around the Brooks Wendy’s in Atlanta, creating opportunity for arson, assault , assault and murder.

The Atlanta Wendy’s no go zone hasn’t gotten attention like the CHOP in Seattle because the people holding it are only interested in power, not political posturing.
    Seriously, you're just way off base. I don't know where you come up with this analysis of what I know, what I remember, what I expect, or what I think...but I really don't appreciate it.

For the record, I've said from the beginning of all this bullshit that I felt the police should have been under orders to nip things in the bud at the earliest opportunity. Unfortunately, the orders were to stand down. So, pretty hard to accomplish.

That leaves "after the fact". So yes, I want the perpetrators of violence to suffer dire consequences. (But as I said, had I the option, I'd have wanted any illegal public gatherings or occupations to be put asunder at their inception.)

The rest of your commentary regarding what you think I think or what you think I forgot, or what you think I know, or what you think I've never known is a construct of your own imagination and certainly not attributable to me.

As to the lecture and treatise on how things work and transpire...well, never mind. There's no point. I wonder what the hell you think I did for 20+ years in NYC and Miami.

So to be clear:

1. I have been in favor of proactive policing from the get go and never said otherwise.

2. It's not my call. The police were under orders to stand down (for the most part).

3. The fact that I'm a hardliner on the consequences of wrongdoing does not change the fact that I do not favor denying citizens their rights under our Constitution. (However, there are some exceptions when public safety requires taking such measures temporarily.)

Further affiant sayeth naught.
    Last edited by blues; 07-05-2020 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typos

User Tag List