Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta is getting sporty

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Prescient. You are indeed both insightful and inciteful.
    ... I got a pitchfork with your name on it if you keep up.

goddamn grammar nazi.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Sadly, I fear the stand against said rising tide will need to involve violence, as the 2 Minutes of Hate is going on way past it's expiration date. "Why didn't you act sooner?!" is a common refrain about WW2, and I myself have made the argument too. I think now, that we're in the middle of a thing that has some spooky resemblances, it's hard to see a solid line that must not be crossed; it feels like only hindsight will tell us where that is/was.
    Definitely dicey here now (Atl area).

The interesting aspect is that I have seen zero racial tensions whatsoever in racially mixed areas where I go for work. Just typical interactions. I've been in a couple unavoidable situations where I was severely, and obviously, "outnumbered" and probably would have been perceived as an easy target by idiots wanting to start shit... and.. nada. Typical nods, "what's up, man?", etc. I'm definitely pleasantly surprised with this.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    ....If we are too weak to speak the truth, to have the courage of our convictions, to not be bullied, then perhaps all the freedoms ensured by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are simply empty words on pieces of parchment.
    Seriously, well spoken.

As I was reading that sentence, I thought you were going to word it a little differently, like this:

If we are too weak to speak the truth, to have the courage of our convictions, to not be bullied, then perhaps we are no longer worthy to hold all of the freedoms ensured by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

It's a sad time to be a member of this Great Experiment. These freedoms require a people of moral character who will generally self-police and discern good from evil. What we have now is the result of extremists being given microphones in the form of social media, and a lot of otherwise-decent people who lack critical thinking skills and are emotionally undeveloped are falling under their spell. If we don't speak up on an individual basis, one-on-one when the mob mentality is absent, there's nothing to break the spell.

I was once a guest at a type of church I won't name in order to keep from ruffling the feathers of any members present here, and it was the first time I saw, in person, a group of people completely under the control of one man and a few musical instruments. Grown people running in the aisles, jumping up and down, shouting, and the pandemonium ebbed and flowed according to the volume and franticness (not a word, I know) of the speaker and the music. If that man, in the height of that service, had told all of those people to go jump off the bridge into the river, I have no doubt that they'd have done it down to the last man, woman, and child.

The control that some of these extremists who are verbally gifted can exercise over weak minds is just astounding to me. And I'm not sure of the solution; it seems you've either learned to think and consider, or you haven't. I've been the guy standing in a room of 80 temporarily-gone-crazy people who are running around acting possessed, and looking at ME like I'M the crazy one LOL. We've got to find the correct times and ways to speak truth in a fashion that encourages eyes to open. If you try to beat people down with the truth, or call them stupid, or dismiss them, you've accomplished nothing. I don't want parrots for my beliefs. I want my beliefs to have enough strength to stand on their own and to be self-evident to someone who's been presented with *all* of the facts. The presentation matters. We need to learn how to do that as our Founding Fathers obviously did at the birth of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I got an email this morning from Chase bank that they will be closing all branches at 1:PM tomorrow in commemoration of Juneteenth.

I was a bit conflicted about it....
    -- Seems like a great occasion to remember and pay respect to.
    -- Why now and not before?
    BBT sent me a similar email today. In 55 years I never heard of Juneteenth day before all of this and now it's a banking holiday.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    BBT sent me a similar email today. In 55 years I never heard of Juneteenth day before all of this and now it's a banking holiday.
    As I'd mentioned in another thread, somehow I missed out hearing of "Juneteenth" until a few days ago. Certainly, I've read enough books on the Civil War to be aware of when slavery ended, if not the exact date.

That said, I think it's an important date and I'd have no trouble with it being celebrated as we honor other such important dates...Independence Day, V-E Day, V-J Day, 9/11, and more.

Certainly the end of slavery marks a very important day...not just in the lives of the enslaved and their future generations, but in the life of this country. It should be celebrated...as well as cause for reflection.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Definitely dicey here now (Atl area).

The interesting aspect is that I have seen zero racial tensions whatsoever in racially mixed areas where I go for work. Just typical interactions. I've been in a couple unavoidable situations where I was severely, and obviously, "outnumbered" and probably would have been perceived as an easy target by idiots wanting to start shit... and.. nada. Typical nods, "what's up, man?", etc. I'm definitely pleasantly surprised with this.
    Same here. I drove from far NW GA to south of Savannah and back yesterday, in the real world nothing has changed.

After I left the military, i lived in an very urban Dallas inner-city neighborhood. Juneteenth was reason for a big block party. We had food, music, and an extraordinarily diverse group of folks.

And when I say diverse, I'm talking about the elementary school down the block having 26 languages represented. Families from Laos, Albania, Guatemala, Nigeria, Egypt, Lebanon and Bali to name a few.

I loved the big Juneteenth party we had, and officers from the local Dallas Police Department storefront on Peak Street were very welcome guests. My, how that has changed.....

Like Tam says, the past is a foreign country we can't visit anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    10 years ago I argued against things such as the “Blue Flu” and jury nullification as a means to affect change or right wrongs. Back then, I felt that the system was flawed but still far more just than a descent into anarchy. I also hated those summons for jury duty because I knew that I would be the first to be stricken due to my background and profession; nothing worse than clearing the schedule knowing that nothing would come of it.

Well, fast forward a decade and oh how things have changed. I for one will be nullifying the shit out of all but the most egregious examples of police brutality. The same goes for anyone citizen facing charges with the only slightest hint of fear for their safety. As for blue flu, I say to all the cops out there - take a break. Our country clearly doesn’t appreciate your sacrifice. I say let every experience first hand just how bad it can get.
    Works for me.
    #RESIST

I couldn't disagree more. Not that I doubt your good intentions.

Speaking the truth has never been more important. I'm not willing to allow a narrative to be created, endorsed and accepted as true which is created of whole cloth without raising my voice, whether here, with neighbors, or anywhere else, to present what I believe to be true.

If we allow only one side and one voice to be heard, then what solution does the silence bring about? Tacit agreement? Lack of will? Acceptance of shame?

If we are too weak to speak the truth, to have the courage of our convictions, to not be bullied, then perhaps all the freedoms ensured by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are simply empty words on pieces of parchment.

Damn that was beautifully eloquent. If you ever come to the Atlanta area (not that I’d recommend that right now) please allow me to buy you a drink. No Wendy’s afterwards though...

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Damn that was beautifully eloquent. If you ever come to the Atlanta area (not that I’d recommend that right now) please allow me to buy you a drink. No Wendy’s afterwards though...
    Thanks, man. It'd be an honor...even without the kind words.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List