Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Bullpup Falls To The M4... Tavor to be replaced

Yet Another Bullpup Falls To The M4... Tavor to be replaced

"IDF gears up for arsenal overhaul with homegrown assault rifles.
    Aiming to standardize troop loadouts after war lessons and mirror Western armies, IDF to phase out older M4 and Tavor rifles for modern Israeli weapons with advanced firing mechanisms.

As part of the military operations in Gaza, the IDF is planning a major overhaul of its arsenal poised to revolutionize the battlefield dynamics for infantry, armored corps, engineering and artillery units. The military's strategy includes adopting a unified Israeli weapon system, with a particular focus on enhancing the capabilities of infantry soldiers.

To that end, the Defense Ministry's Department of Production and Procurement (DoPP) is initiating a large-scale tender for tens of thousands of rifles from three local weapon manufacturers: Silver Shadow, which is the primary producer of the Tavor rifle, Emtan with its MZ rifle and Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) with their Arad rifle. All three are AR-15 platform rifles."

Source: https://www.ynetnews.com/article/hju8hfrat
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    "IDF gears up for arsenal overhaul with homegrown assault rifles.
    Aiming to standardize troop loadouts after war lessons and mirror Western armies, IDF to phase out older M4 and Tavor rifles for modern Israeli weapons with advanced firing mechanisms.

As part of the military operations in Gaza, the IDF is planning a major overhaul of its arsenal poised to revolutionize the battlefield dynamics for infantry, armored corps, engineering and artillery units. The military's strategy includes adopting a unified Israeli weapon system, with a particular focus on enhancing the capabilities of infantry soldiers.

To that end, the Defense Ministry's Department of Production and Procurement (DoPP) is initiating a large-scale tender for tens of thousands of rifles from three local weapon manufacturers: Silver Shadow, which is the primary producer of the Tavor rifle, Emtan with its MZ rifle and Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) with their Arad rifle. All three are AR-15 platform rifles."

Source: https://www.ynetnews.com/article/hju8hfrat

I looked them up on the web; two short-stroke piston designs and (apparently) one direct impingement design.
    Are you familiar with any of them?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

From the article:""The Tavor is based on a bullpup mechanism, which is less common in Western armies, less suitable for operating certain restraints, and has relative disadvantages in combat in closed spaces, as we have seen in the fighting in Gaza," a senior IDF officer leading the military buildup project told Ynet."

I'd like that part to be expanded on.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    From the article:""The Tavor is based on a bullpup mechanism, which is less common in Western armies, less suitable for operating certain restraints, and has relative disadvantages in combat in closed spaces, as we have seen in the fighting in Gaza," a senior IDF officer leading the military buildup project told Ynet."

Just speculating: I don't think even the most recent Tavors have an adjustable gas system. My SAR is way overgassed for suppressed use, and my understanding is that heavy suppressed use can cause premature failures.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

Based on personal experience with bullpups, I'd bet on it being impossible to switch strong sides while clearing structures, and clunky/slow reloads.

So are they going with an actual AR type platform?

And I wonder if the new ISI Carmel rifle is in the running?

My impression is that one of reasons the Israelis went with the M16/M4 is huge amounts of supply/ support from the USA.

I’m not dissing the M4 etc…

I remember when the Galil 5.56 was adopted, it was claimed to be more reliable in the sand than the M16.

Later the Tavor was adopted, I didn’t keep up with the rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Based on personal experience with bullpups, I'd bet on it being impossible to switch strong sides while clearing structures, and clunky/slow reloads.
    Yeah, the stock brass deflector is hard on brass--and hard on the face support side. Aftermarket options used to be available, but attaching some sticky loop velcro solves the problem. I can shoot mine either side without issues.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I looked them up on the web; two short-stroke piston designs and (apparently) one direct impingement design.
    Are you familiar with any of them?
    I don't know anything about them other than from the article. It's really not a huge stretch to make a decent AR, so unless they way overthink it, they're probably fine.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

I think the Tavor is a wonderful gun that gets a bad rap.

What do you expect me to say when I will soon have a Tavor up for sale in the appropriate section of this forum.

Ask me what I think of the gun after I have successfully sold mine.

User Tag List