Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mk262 mod 1 in a DDm4 for HD

mk262 mod 1 in a DDm4 for HD

I'm setting up and training with my DDM4. I'm going to be buying a 500 round case of mk262 mod1 for $200 bucks from an associate. I've been reading some good stuff about it, but not as much as I'd like. Would this make an effective HD m4 round? Even if not, I'm still going to buy, as $200 for that amount of black hills practice ammo is still a good price.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers!
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

I use it (or as closely equivalent as I can find) as HD ammo. I live in an apartment and need to be aware of over-penetration. If I were more concerned about barrier blind performance, it would not be my first choice.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

This should help immensely on understanding the capabilities and limitations of various 5.56 loads, including Mk262 http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

See this for some more good follow-on info, though not as directly related to your Mk262 question: http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

While more recent barrier blind ammo is apparently the hot thing for general patrol or mil use your's is still pretty highly rated for the purpose you describe.

I've killed several deer with civilian loads that were generally similiar - single shots of Black Hills 77 gr OTM and it's been devastating under 100 yards. Never tried it further out. Can't see deer that far round'heyah.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm sure there is someone somewhere who will disagree based on data on paper or in jell-o, but 262 is pretty legit in terms of performance on two legged creatures. It is my preferred round for just about every 5.56 application I can think of.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

DocGKR wrote an excellent post over on M4C http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I'm sure there is someone somewhere who will disagree based on data on paper or in jell-o, but 262 is pretty legit in terms of performance on two legged creatures. It is my preferred round for just about every 5.56 application I can think of.
    I concur.
    There might be "better", but 262 is pretty damn good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

I've read alot of the stuff by Doc on m4c already, and it's good stuff, but most of it isn't terribly relevant to me as I'm not interested really in the barrier blind types of ammo. I live in a pretty densely populated suburban area in a 1970's era town house with walls that have the consistency of papier mache. The last thing I need is heavily penetrating ammo.
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

I happen to choose 75 gr TAP for HD, but if I could get my hands on mk262 I'd rely on it in a heartbeat based upon research.

Quote Originally Posted by Long tom coffin View Post
    The last thing I need is heavily penetrating ammo.
    Just put it in meat and you'll be ok regardless of which of the modern designs you choose. Put it into a single wall, and there will be issues regardless of which one you choose.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List