Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheelgun Challenge III

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Might have mentioned previously, I'm now out of the K frame business (still have J frame and GPs), which means my K frame Jet Loaders are for sale.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    When you are ready to sell those piece of junk SL Variants, PM me first.
    They're long gone, I'm much happier with Safarilands.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Comp IIIs don't fit into my jeans pockets. Comp IIs do.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Red Devil paint mixer test

I remember watching a training video with Massad Ayoob from the late 1980’s. He was talking about revolver speed loaders available then on the market. He reported having placed HKS speedloaders with JHP ammo into a local paint store’s Red Devil paint mixer (thousands of vibrations per minute). It peeled the jackets back to the case mouths, but all rounds were retained by the HKS speedloader. From personal experience, I never accidentally lost any rounds from my HKS loaders carried on duty. I only used the Safariland Comp III for my PPC shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I remember watching a training video with Massad Ayoob from the late 1980’s. He was talking about revolver speed loaders available then on the market. He reported having placed HKS speedloaders with JHP ammo into a local paint store’s Red Devil paint mixer (thousands of vibrations per minute). It peeled the jackets back to the case mouths, but all rounds were retained by the HKS speedloader. From personal experience, I never accidentally lost any rounds from my HKS loaders carried on duty. I only used the Safariland Comp III for my PPC shooting.
    I’ll remember that test for the next time I need to carry my revolver inside a human-sized vibratory cleaner.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I've had HKS release when pocket carried. Never had it happen with Comp I or II's. I know Safarilands have that reputation but...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    I've had HKS release when pocket carried. Never had it happen with Comp I or II's. I know Safarilands have that reputation but...
    I've had HKS speedloaders release in my pocket and in the belt carrier during matches. I've not had the same thing happen with Comp I/IIs. Maybe I haven't used them enough.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Shot a Revolver Special USPSAish match yesterday with M67 and Comp IIIs for reload. Other loaders on hand for LAMR only. Great fun. I had some sticky reloads as the day wore on, my .410 Tornado brush is worn out and was not getting the chambers perfectly clean between stages. Also I found a couple of sticky rounds, reloads with coated bullets. Next time we have one of these, I will have a fresh brush and may well chamber check my ammo.

I have a similar M686 outfit but in practice was getting better hits with the K frame. I think I know the difference and will consult the gunsmith.

The poor old Python was just out of the running. Partly because they only make Comp II for Colt but mostly because I have gotten dependent on fibre optic sights and just couldn't see the plain post in a hurry. I sent the sight blade off to Pinnacle to convert to FO and we shall see.

The SL Variant seemed like The Answer for the Colt but is not 100%. You have to poke it harder to release, for one thing. It is great for LAMR, you load it one round at a time and don't need a plate.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I am enjoying and learning from the Wheelgun Challenge posts.

It is interesting that carrying a revolver still presents challenges even with greater advantages than we had at the time when revolvers were a much more common choice for serious use. We now have Kydex holsters and speedloader pouches, and better sight options.

The only time I've had a Comp 1 or Comp 2 dump rounds was when I didn't verify they were secured properly and the one Comp 2 which had a broken retention clip. That's based over a decade of fairly serious competition using Split Six style speed loader holders as well as CCW when I wore a belt mounted rotary gat.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List