Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Wheelgun Challenge III

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    I have found the split designs to be very dependent on belt thickness and cover garment. They’re were not usable with a double-thickness horsehide belt. And, there’s the whole “they’re built for 1.75” belts” issue. I had one done as a custom job back for thick 1.5” belts when I carried a Comp I as a reload. Even then, the snap on the top makes them just as “printy” as wearing a loader against the belt, and it is a vulnerable snagpoint.

Loaders (especially the J frame loaders) are not much wider then a Glock mag, and the round shape and lower height of a JetLoader (or even a K frame Comp III) makes them more viable for carriage in front of hip crease. They can hide just fine OWB. I’m working with a local leather guy on a tight-riding pancake setup for single and double J-frame JetLoaders.

The real cat’s pajamas would be something like the Phlster Flex for an AIWB 3” revolver and an IWB speedloader on the opposite hip crease, but that’s probably never going to happen. The entire potential market for that item is likely already commenting in these threads.
    Thanks for the info

Carrying aiwb limits ammo carrying where it would be easiest to reload.

The metal safariland carrier can work ahead of the holster with some belts but reloading is slower than from the pocket. Ive tried it at my left hip crease where i comfortably carry iwb magazines and its very uncomfortable and I had to cross over my my body to grab it which felt awkward.

I agree that the market is pretty dry but i understand why.

What id like to see is a jox carrier attached to a jmcustom aiwb that didn't need another belt clip.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    ...Carrying aiwb limits ammo carrying where it would be easiest to reload...
    I'm currently waiting on a new belt for this reason. My current instructor style belt has a descender loop that takes up enough space to prevent left-of-centerline placement of a 2x2x2 pouch with most of my pants. The belt loop on shorts I'm wearing today barely clears. Can still even fit my Key Defender and fixes blade. But the new belt should allow similar in most of my pants.

As a somewhat related point, I've found another benefit to the Hip-Grip. If pre-staging my hand for a possible draw, it looks rather like I'm just hooking my thumb in my waistband at a casual glance. The gripframe is covered by my palm. More discreet than a firing grip on an auto or if using a higher riding revolver holster.

Im trying my jox carrier at 11oclock today. I made a pad to help push it inboard.
    Name:  15923378424236704646234912671105.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  57.2 KB

I guess with the gun empty my hand doesn't have to move "that" much. Not ideal but really not that bad.

Site Supporter
    What do you all prefer: grabbing the speedloader with the strong hand while ejecting empties with the weak hand, or keeping the gun in the strong hand and grabbing the speedloader with the weak hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    What do you all prefer: grabbing the speedloader with the strong hand while ejecting empties with the weak hand, or keeping the gun in the strong hand and grabbing the speedloader with the weak hand?

Probably be a lot of disagreement on this. There are proponents of various methods. For me: I hold the revolver in the weak hand and reload strong hand but ejection is done by striking the ejector with the strong hand palm. Theoretically there would be some speed gain working the ejector rod with the weak hand thumb but trying it I see more instances of brass getting hung up especially on J's (usually from grip interference on the inboard rounds) and only minimal speed gain. The palm strike is better for ensuring the cylinder is cleared consistently.

I prefer the Universal Revolver Reload, aka FLETC reload. It's more reliable for me than a non-hand-transfer reload where I can't control the cylinder as well, and simpler mechanics to process than Massad's Stressfire Reload. I don't get reliable ejection with the FBI reload simply because the extraction stroke isn't as sharp as using a hand...more of a slow push, so the cases have no momentum and just stop moving when I reach the end of the stroke, with up to half of them needing to be picked out manually.

My experiences are probably different than some others. I almost exclusively shoot 2.5" K-frames (short extractor rod) and prefer grips with a covered backstrap (makes it too long a "reach" for my finger to stabilize the cylinder in non-hand-transfer).

Excellent video by @Mas

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

BillSWPA:

That is the subject of my next installment. Short answer: Keep the revolver in my dominant hand (right) and reload with my left.

I'll post that up in a day or so.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

I prefer to hold the gun in my left while i manipulate ammo with my right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    I have found the split designs to be very dependent on belt thickness and cover garment. They’re were not usable with a double-thickness horsehide belt. And, there’s the whole “they’re built for 1.75” belts” issue. I had one done as a custom job back for thick 1.5” belts when I carried a Comp I as a reload. Even then, the snap on the top makes them just as “printy” as wearing a loader against the belt, and it is a vulnerable snagpoint.
    I've got a couple of the Safariland split holders and only use them when carrying an N frame with the required (because there aren't any Comp IIs) HKS loaders. I don't think the Ns are supposed to work with them, and they are a tight fit, but the rounds jiggle and make too much noise in the Kydex split holders I have for them. They fit in the hollow of my hip over the front pocket and conceal well enough under a square-bottomed shirt or something heavier. That said, I only carry an N frame when I'm feeling ceremonial or nostalgic (M21-4 or M22-4) or in the woods (M28-2). Normal revolver carry is a 4" K frame, and that's pretty rare anyway.

Site Supporter
    I load with the strong hand while holding the gun in the weak hand. I recognize that keeping the gun in the strong hand is probably a faster method, but the old way is ingrained in my reflexes and at 68 I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze to learn the other way for a gun I rarely carry anymore.

User Tag List