Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheelgun Challenge III

I had a Safariland loader not release while in the academy. It was my last one so I was not able to complete that exercise. The staff had to beat on it to get it to release. If we had stayed with revolvers past my probationary period I would have quietly switched to HKS ( and figured out an alternative to the issued 95 grain +P Silvertips).

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I am enjoying and learning from the Wheelgun Challenge posts.

It is interesting that carrying a revolver still presents challenges even with greater advantages than we had at the time when revolvers were a much more common choice for serious use. We now have Kydex holsters and speedloader pouches, and better sight options.
    It’s odd. Outside of moon clips and the Jox loaders, speedloader accessories for competition and carry are so far behind on iterative development that it’s actually surprising. Options seem to hit the market and disappear for lack of widespread adoption.

I had to commission custom work to get what I wanted.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've had HKS speedloaders release in my pocket and in the belt carrier during matches. I've not had the same thing happen with Comp I/IIs. Maybe I haven't used them enough.
    Stephanie B:

I try to carry my Comp IIIs in a vest or jacket pocket most of the time which may explain my success. Once in a great while, I will carry a speed loader in a trouser pocket. I try to avoid that. I think the solution is to have a single belt mounted speed loader pouch that is solely for emergency reloads. I did something similar with my AR magazines on my armor/plate carrier-I had one dedicated magazine pouch that was only used for emergency reloads. Any administrative loads were done out of the other pouches.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    It’s odd. Outside of moon clips and the Jox loaders, speedloader accessories for competition and carry are so far behind on iterative development that it’s actually surprising. Options seem to hit the market and disappear for lack of widespread adoption.

No kidding. I wish the safariland 3 loader carrier had more positive retention.

I need to try some of the split 6 carriers. The jox prints to much

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I am enjoying and learning from the Wheelgun Challenge posts.

It is interesting that carrying a revolver still presents challenges even with greater advantages than we had at the time when revolvers were a much more common choice for serious use. We now have Kydex holsters and speedloader pouches, and better sight options.
    BillSWPA:

I am glad you are enjoying the Wheelgun Challenge posts. I had fun doing/writing it.

I think the answer to your observation is that because revolvers have fallen out of favor for serious use, there is an ever shrinking market for revolver accessories. The market just isn't there to support most manufacturers. I may be showing my age, but I can remember going into gun shops years ago and seeing revolvers, 1911s, shotguns and deer rifles. Anything other than a 1911 in terms of semiauto pistols was a rarity, as was seeing an AR. Today, finding a wood stocked rifle is a rarity. I keep looking for revolver stuff and every now and then, I get lucky (like the Sparks 200 AW N frame holster I found at a yard sale...), but those "finds" are getting more and more rare.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post

JRV:

I think that the custom work may be the way of the future regarding revolver stuff. I am in the process of getting a horizontal speedloader pouch made up to try. Hopefully, it will work out. I'll keep you up to speed on how things progress.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    No kidding. I wish the safariland 3 loader carrier had more positive retention.

I have found the split designs to be very dependent on belt thickness and cover garment. They’re were not usable with a double-thickness horsehide belt. And, there’s the whole “they’re built for 1.75” belts” issue. I had one done as a custom job back for thick 1.5” belts when I carried a Comp I as a reload. Even then, the snap on the top makes them just as “printy” as wearing a loader against the belt, and it is a vulnerable snagpoint.

Loaders (especially the J frame loaders) are not much wider then a Glock mag, and the round shape and lower height of a JetLoader (or even a K frame Comp III) makes them more viable for carriage in front of hip crease. They can hide just fine OWB. I’m working with a local leather guy on a tight-riding pancake setup for single and double J-frame JetLoaders.

The real cat’s pajamas would be something like the Phlster Flex for an AIWB 3” revolver and an IWB speedloader on the opposite hip crease, but that’s probably never going to happen. The entire potential market for that item is likely already commenting in these threads.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    JRV:

I think that the custom work may be the way of the future regarding revolver stuff. I am in the process of getting a horizontal speedloader pouch made up to try. Hopefully, it will work out. I'll keep you up to speed on how things progress.

Bruce
    Best of luck, and please post photos! Crossbreed made an interesting horizontal pouch that rode over the top of the belt for about five whole minutes.

Wheelgun Challenge III

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    For what it’s worth (for J frame and K6S loaders), I have not noticed a measurable difference in printing between the split six style and the “above the belt” style Jox pouches. Both are noticeable in a t-shirt, and neither are noticeable under a jacket or heavy flannel.

The split sixes are a bit more “comfy” as they have some more give to them, but obviously are a bit slower due to the clasp.
    Last edited by hickrev; 06-15-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have a couple of split speedloader pouches that were made by DeSantis if I recall correctly. The fit is very tight when wearing a double thickness belt. Even though half of the cartridges are inside the belt, I doubt concealment is significantly improved since the belt will have to stick out more to accommodate those extra cartridges. I have never actually used them to carry speedloaders.

User Tag List