Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me fix my draw

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Kidding aside, I would practice drawing to a sight picture with a prepped trigger.
    Very true, trying to beat the timer with a rushed trigger press is bad practice.

Looking at this at 0.5 speed, I think that at least 2 out of 5 draws I heard trigger click before I saw gun fully extended. Amiright?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Student
    Here is a link to Mr. Harris' writeup of Pistol Shooting Solutions in 2018. On the second page there are a couple videos of his draws and shooting.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ly-TN-Oct-2018

The things I noticed:

You wing your elbow out to the side a bit. Try to think of keeping the elbow aligned along the pistol's desired axis of travel.

As someone mentioned you are dropping your support hand following the shirt down. I put my cursor on the spot from one draw to the next and you somewhat deviate - not much, but somewhat on where your hands meet up. Try that (with the cursor) and you'll see what I mean.

I'm going to use a little bit different term than other folks have used, but you seem to be scoop shoveling a little bit as you present.

What is you goal for going sub 1.2 - IDPA or self-defense?

I tend to teach the draw in terms of indexes - my goal is to get the pistol level and down range as soon as possible - indexed on the subject or target. When you lift the pistol upward out of the holster, as soon as the muzzle clears the holster your wrist should lock straight, and you should continue to lift the pistol as you rotate or rock the weapon level. I'm usually a little higher than sternum level by the time the pistol is level.

As you are doing this, your support hand (which from concealed has been raising your cover garment) should be moving up to about sternum height into what has been called the 'set' position - as in the support hand is set to meet the strong hand. If you practice this in front of a mirror you can locate your set position by looking to see when the pistol is indexed below your dominant eye, then move your support hand to the location where the pistol would naturally meet the hand under your dominant eye.

At this point, your muzzle is level, the pistol is indexed under your dominant eye, and if need be you could begin shooting at a close-moderate range threat as you extend to the target/threat.

During in-service classes I would use sticks held slightly below sternum level and about 18 in front of the officer - this way they are sure they can draw efficiently if something is in front of them, like a bar or table, for instance.

As you might have figured, this isn't a competition draw. Is it fast? Not as fast as 'lifting' as you punch to extension, but I feel the technique is more real world.

I might be off base, but, I'd suggest tucking in the shirt, and get your basic draw grooved then add the cover garment.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Very true, trying to beat the timer with a rushed trigger press is bad practice.

Looking at this at 0.5 speed, I think that at least 2 out of 5 draws I heard trigger click before I saw gun fully extended. Amiright?
    Prepping the trigger through the draw is something I really had to work on in my time shooting the Beretta 92. You'll never get that long DA trigger to go in time if you don't get into it. On the Glock, my trigger to begin "going" on the trigger is once I see my sights. Even if it's not a perfect sight picture I'm at least beginning the press once I see the sights and the speed/care taken for the press depends on the amount of sight picture refinement required to make the hit on the given target. Certainly not "get there and then slap."
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Here is a link to Mr. Harris' writeup of Pistol Shooting Solutions in 2018. On the second page there are a couple videos of his draws and shooting.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ly-TN-Oct-2018
    Thank you! I tried searching youtube and got nowhere.

ETA: He is using his support hand to clear concealment in both videos there contrary to what was said earlier.
    Last edited by ASH556; 06-15-2020 at 02:24 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice

Some suggestions.

1) Try shrugging your shoulders (up and back), and have them up before you set the timer. It gets your hands a little higher on the belt line.

2) Personally I think your hand position is too relaxed. Unless you are trying to look casual? Top guys are not anywhere near relaxed before the buzzer (although I will note that strong hand tension is bad, but don’t worry about that unless you want to go down a very long and dark rabbit hole).

3) Move both of you hands at the same time at the beep. It seems you are not getting your strong hand going until after your support hand grabs your shirt.

4) Think “EXPLODE!” When you hear the buzzer - Maximum hand speed! It really helped me when trying to push draw speed.

Your draw times are really good now. Shaving 2/10 off is going to be really hard. Way harder than it was to get to 1.2. So be prepared to spend significant time on this.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Some suggestions.

1) Try shrugging your shoulders (up and back), and have them up before you set the timer. It gets your hands a little higher on the belt line.
    I know this thread is covering a strong side concealment draw but have been wondering if this tip is also applicable for standard open top range holster drawing with no concealment?

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    I know this thread is covering a strong side concealment draw but have been wondering if this tip is also applicable for standard open top range holster drawing with no concealment?
    Yes, I do it.

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Some suggestions.

2) Personally I think your hand position is too relaxed. Unless you are trying to look casual? Top guys are not anywhere near relaxed before the buzzer (although I will note that strong hand tension is bad, but don’t worry about that unless you want to go down a very long and dark rabbit hole).

3) Move both of you hands at the same time at the beep. It seems you are not getting your strong hand going until after your support hand grabs your shirt.

4) Think “EXPLODE!” When you hear the buzzer - Maximum hand speed! It really helped me when trying to push draw speed.

Your draw times are really good now. Shaving 2/10 off is going to be really hard. Way harder than it was to get to 1.2. So be prepared to spend significant time on this.
    I worked on this again some more this week. To your question about "too relaxed" and "looking casual," that's a critique I get from a high level shooting buddy as well. My thought has always been to do this to prevent projecting intentions in a real-world threat situation. Staging your hands to me projects intent. If we're talking about gaming only, then why am I using concealment? I was running good dry fire hits from a DOH Bladetech and my G19 + RM06 last night in the .80's.
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I worked on this again some more this week. To your question about "too relaxed" and "looking casual," that's a critique I get from a high level shooting buddy as well. My thought has always been to do this to prevent projecting intentions in a real-world threat situation. Staging your hands to me projects intent. If we're talking about gaming only, then why am I using concealment? I was running good dry fire hits from a DOH Bladetech and my G19 + RM06 last night in the .80's.
    Well, you have to do what you feel you need to do. Just realize you may not be able to get to the times you are wanting with the restrictions you have.
    --

User Tag List