Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me fix my draw

Help me fix my draw

When I’m doing this, it feels literally as fast as I can move and still get:
    1. A solid, consistent grip on the gun
    2. A valid sight picture

It’s a 1.2 sec par time. Now I know several of our members boast a no-lie sub-sec concealed draw. I’ve seen @Mr_White do it in person in class. From my concealed live fire session last week, 1.57 was the fastest I could produce in a drill (I ran Gabe’s standards).

Please take a look and tell me where you see the slop so I can fix it.

https://youtu.be/DnFq1zwS9Ek
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Move your holster forward about ten inches!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Move your holster forward about ten inches!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Kidding aside, I would practice drawing to a sight picture with a prepped trigger, because rushing a trigger press against a par generally doesn’t lend itself to good results with live fire. IWB under a polo is very difficult compared to AIWB or open OWB.

Not sure if it will help, but this is something I posted last winter.

You can break down the draw into two components and see where you're losing time

1. From start position, attain the master grip while keeping pistol in holster, WH in the ready position where you'd meet the gun as you present (par 0.4-0.5 sec?)
    2. Starting from where you ended part 1 (you'll need to remove your cover garment for this portion), draw gun, meet hands and aim to target. GJM's point about getting sight picture but not pressing the trigger is a good one. (par 0.5-0.6 sec?)

I'd guess if you can hit those times you'd likely be able to put it all together into a sub 1.0 sec draw, though perhaps others with more experience drawing from concealment from the hip can help tweak those times a bit.

(Comming from my experience with appendix, I assume the principles remain the same for 3:00)

Try and limit side to side motion of the upper body and shoulders when clearing shirt and retrieving gun. Try making everything happen between your hands and elbows if that makes sense.

Be explosive from the beep to the press out. The faster you are able to get your gun in front of your face and pressing forward the more time you have to clean up sights and make the shot. I like to take a quick deep breath as I am clearing my shirt and retrieving my gun and as I press out I exhale. 100% speed up to my eye line then 80% speed for my press out cleaning up sights.

Edit: you are also throwing your shirt downward after you clear the gun before you establish a full two handed grip.

#strongsidecarrysucks .

Change my mind lol.

I'm not a strong side dude, and I'm sure as fuck am no expert.

1 thing I did notice though:

You draw has arcs in it. Slow it down to .25 speed and you can see it looks like:

|
    (

When the gun clears, you push it out to the left (from the viewer's perspective), curve around, and go up.

Try a straight line from the holster so you draw looks more like /

Maybe it has to do with the strong side carry, but can you grab your shirt in front still clear the gun? Less movement of the support hand. You also dip your support hand from high chest down to mid stomach to meet your gun.

You also look stiff in the arms. Try letting your arms hang naturally and relaxed. It might make things more fluid.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    When I’m doing this, it feels literally as fast as I can move and still get:
    1. A solid, consistent grip on the gun
    2. A valid sight picture

It’s a 1.2 sec par time. Now I know several of our members boast a no-lie sub-sec concealed draw. I’ve seen @Mr_White do it in person in class. From my concealed live fire session last week, 1.57 was the fastest I could produce in a drill (I ran Gabe’s standards).

Please take a look and tell me where you see the slop so I can fix it.

https://youtu.be/DnFq1zwS9Ek

A few thoughts:

It's pretty hard to draw really fast from a strong side IWB with a closed front shirt. That's one of the hardest arrangements for a really fast freestyle/two-handed draw. I have seen it done though, by Randy Harris. He is by far the fastest I have ever seen from that arrangement and actually had some sub one second draws in class. I remain quite impressed.

The way he did it was, essentially a strong hand only draw with regard to garment clearance, but otherwise used his support hand to join the grip like a normal freestyle draw. That made it significantly more efficient by not delaying strong hand movement while waiting on the support hand to come over and clear the shirt. Randy also has very rapid twitch movement, which adds another layer of speed. All that added up to sub second draws from one of the toughest arrangements to produce that kind of time for draw to first shot.

FWIW, I'd say 1.25 takes a really, really, well-developed draw with that rig and shirt. That's extremely good. Your 1.2 is not slouching by any means.

If you really want to hunt for sub second with that rig and type of shirt, I think Randy's way is worth a serious try. It might be the only way. If you can get your movement more twitchy it might also help the time. I get it if someone simply doesn't move that way, or it causes unacceptable inconsistency in technique execution.

But.

If you are serious about trying to reach that speed and get some fast movement going, I think you're going to have to set your hand speed at max (not max subject to the two conditions you laid out - grip and sight picture.) That is step one. That's how you move now. Step two, work on developing your consistency of grip, and seeing more sights faster, while continuing to move in that manner. If the specific goal is to find speed like we're talking about, I think this approach can succeed where an incrementalist approach may stagnate.

You can already draw pretty fast and fire very accurate shots, right? I know you do that well. So, if you want to learn to draw at faster speed, work on that and let go of other things for a time.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List