Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guide to armor

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Huh, interesting. The idea of wearing plates to a 8-12 hour ED shift sounds...sweaty...
    Wasn't plates, was soft armor.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I have Spartan IV multi-hit ceramics in my SKD Pig plate carrier, with IIIA soft backers.
    It was purchased because for about 2 years I was within 30 extremely remote miles of the US/Mex border almost daily, bulk and weight weren't as important as the rating since the truck was carrying the weight and 7.62AP (x51 and x39 flavors) is a legit threat down there.
    A overt plate carrier isn't a big deal when it's just you, coyotes and drug mules.
    The Pig now lives in a storage bag in my master closet, ready for border trips or defending the Alamo.

I also have a low profile concealable soft IIIA vest that lives in the small backpack that goes with me pretty much everywhere.
    It's the grab and go next to my bed or grab and go out of the bag on the back seat if a civilized location starts getting rowdy.
    Covert is the way to go when trying not to stand out in a crowd of ANTIFA vs Boogers vs PoPo. I wanna go home not fight or get cuffed because I look like I'm on one of those "teams".

Like everything else, mission drives the gear.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Velocity Systems special threat ceramic looks good http://www.velsyst.com/collections/h...-ceramic-platebut it seems they don't sell to civilians. Anybody have a recommendation on a reputable reseller?

If I measure as needing a SAPI cut XL (11x14) how much effectiveness am I losing? Or maybe why do so few manufacturers make a only 10x12 plates?
    One of the things that attracted me to the RMA plates in the OP was because they offered sizing.

I am not doing high threat protection work, but a scenario where something at least somewhat concealable armor being useful doesn't seem too far fetched.

As far as the intersection of the performance, cost, weight triangle @Erick Gelhaus brought up earlier, what's the G19 of rifle armor? Having armor seems a prudent move and would like to do some the Carbine classes that recommend or require armor in the future.
    Last edited by Nocturnalis Discipulo; 06-19-2020 at 12:33 PM.

OP tactical carries Velsyst armor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After watching videos of "protesters" walking around with rifles i think i need a 2nd pair of plates in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalis Discipulo View Post
    Velocity Systems special threat ceramic looks good http://www.velsyst.com/collections/h...-ceramic-platebut it seems they don't sell to civilians. Anybody have a recommendation on a reputable reseller?.
    I understand this to be an equivalent to that plate.

https://store.atarmor.com/AT_Armor_S...at-stop-bz.htm

If your not concerned about .308/762x51 and larger calibers, this is a good one

https://store.atarmor.com/Hesco_U210..._p/hs-u210.htm

OP, just get the plates you listed in your first post. They're very good, from a well-known quality manufacturer, and will stop most rifle threats you'll face in CONUS.

None of those booger eaters are gonna have m855-a1 or .30-06 AP.

To each their own, but I don't think you'll be sitting in a car for hours on end on stakeout duty.

I run plates of that thickness, as do many others, and I train alot with 'em on. You get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    OP, just get the plates you listed in your first post. They're very good, from a well-known quality manufacturer, and will stop most rifle threats you'll face in CONUS.

None of those booger eaters are gonna have m855-a1 or .30-06 AP.

To each their own, but I don't think you'll be sitting in a car for hours on end on stakeout duty.

I run plates of that thickness, as do many others, and I train alot with 'em on. You get used to it.
    Name:  20200219_173554.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  82.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Name:  20200219_173554.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  82.9 KB
    Yeah but you're no booger eater! You're on our side!

Get off my lawn!

User Tag List