Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops. OAL too long

Oops. OAL too long

Long story short I went through my ammo and reloaded some 9mm after a long hiatus. I got a couple new guns and didn’t do a plunk test and just assumed it would work in them. They are ever slightly too long for the barrel. They don’t spin freely on the plunk test. I have way too many to use a bullet puller.
    How would you resolve it? I’m thinking just send them back thru the seating die to the appropriate oal. I don’t think I need to crimp again but what say you?
    I’m using a Dillon 550b for reference. It’s an inconvenience for sure but I gotta figure something out.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

If the bullets are jacketed, I would just run them through the seating die. If plated or coated, you might have an issue with the case mouth trying to scrape into the coating.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Run them through your Glock, not your CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    If the bullets are jacketed, I would just run them through the seating die. If plated or coated, you might have an issue with the case mouth trying to scrape into the coating.
    In my experience, you can even get away with doing this with plated and coated bullets as long as the difference between the current OAL and the needed OAL is small and your crimp isn't over tight.

I re-seat all the time with lead and coated bullets. Or just put it in the Glock.

Do they all refuse to spin? I've had some problems with an SA 9mm 1911 that doesn't like some cases that I believe might be slightly bulged at the base. They stick in the chamber hard enough that the slide has to be forced open.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    They are coated bullets. I can’t imagine they need to be seated much more they are at 1.130 already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Run them through your non gen 5 Glock, not your CZ.
    Fixed that for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

This might be a good time to invest in a used single-stage press. You'll find more uses for it later.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I picked up one of these

https://leeprecision.com/reloader-press.html

for about $28 several years ago for decapping, pulling and other stuff like that. Might be worthwhile.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Single stage press is a really good idea. I actually have a spare seating die. I’m not sure it’s recommended to run a single cartridge thru the Dillon for several hundred rounds.

User Tag List