Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout is stupid...convince me I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    C'mon folks,

I was at the range a couple of hours ago, and, as I was about to leave, saw and salivated over the .300BLK Rattler on display. (Un?) Fortunately, the Covid-19 distancing rules resulted in a rather long line of customers waiting to get into the retail part of the store, and I had to get home.

But I could be convinced. Or dissuaded. My APC9 certainly has me liking the platform, and I can see the benefits of the .300 round compared to 9mm. But I can also see the $/rd difference and availability, not the mention the $2K+ initial investment.

Wait . . . why am I trying to apply logic to buying a gun???
    Do it.

Join the Rattler club. All the cool kids are in it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Do it.

Rob is not really in the club, he's just panting at the door and scratching trying to be let in...

Do it.

What with you, @GJM and @SouthNarc all "against" me, I'm pretty sure I don't stand a chance of resisting.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Yeah the 300 BO PDW trip was basically I need something very short that had terminal performance at a short distance, IE super niche.

I would never be running a 300 BO gun as a general purpose rifle/pistol. Just doesn't make sense, and the high quality, stop threats ammo is stupid expensive.

I think @LittleLebowski is a fan for hunting?
    One shot, one kill on a respectable whitetail buck with a store bought 150gr super. The same rifle brings a smile to my face with subs. I don’t understand the .300BO hate, but it’s not my problem. Easier than 5.56 to reload for, waaaaaaaay less blast than 5.56, quiet, fun to shoot, uses existing components.

#GunWorkGunGood
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Aimpoint's new CompM5b has a solution. Probably cheaper than two optics.

There’s also these Micro turrets from FCD. Need a small screwdriver, but easier than the standard set up.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...cro_p_143.html

I don’t run subs in mine. If I had a need for subs, I’d get a second upper and scope dedicated to that use. Simple.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Rob is not really in the club, he's just panting at the door and scratching trying to be let in...
    You're mad jealous of all my .300BO brass and bullets tho.

Several people upthread have referred to the .300 BLK as a niche tool, but I don't know if that is always a bad thing. One doesn't play competitive golf with only irons, yet irons are required to successfully compete. Every club in the bag has evolved over time for a specific (niche) purpose. Together they constitute a general-purpose tool set. To be short the appropriate golf club, and the skill to use it, is to be disadvantaged. Same-same with guns, I think.

As a simple example, an entry level armory might consist of a service pistol, a shotty, and a battle rifle. Each of those are niche (ie, best at specific duties), but when considered as a whole, cover most of the field. There remain, however, gaps that might prove disadvantageous. There's not much an M-14 guy can do about a skilled man with a precision rifle shooting at him from 1,200 yards away.

Regarding the .300 BLK, if one has a perceived need (a) to defend against feral urbanites beyond normal pistol range to say, a city block away, (b) and recognizes the advantages of carrying a Large Pistol with enough BB's for comfort in an (c) easily portable backpack or slightly oversize briefcase, (d) on a civilian pistol permit (e) where a full rifle might generate unwanted notice, then something like a .300 BLK might be a very appropriate choice. It is a general purpose tool for that specific use. It's time has come. Niche perhaps, but not necessarily a bad thing.

Site Supporter
    You know...for an Aggie, you're all right.

That's fucking AWESOME. I had already decided I was going to do a CompM5 on my Rattler...Doesn't look like these are shipping yet?
    PM out to you Revolver Rob.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

deleted........
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List