Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your douchiest moment as a shooter?

I'm currently a Range Coach for recruits in the Marine Corps at Edson Range. But every now and again we go over to the pistol range and qualify Marines from all over the base. I was in charge of 5 Target points. All my shooters on the line came from the same unit across the base. 4 Staff NCO's and a fresh 2ndLt. All the Staff were shooting fine from the 25yd line with standard issue M9 but the Lt was having some problems and blaming the pistol. All shots are taken in SA from the 25yd line so I walk up to him ask for the pistol and take my one handed stance and place a single shot within the 10 ring. Hand it back to the Lt and tell him to go back to OCS. The Staff were almost on the ground laughing.

But realizing my douche baggery towards him I go back and explain proper technique. The Lt came to the pistol range as a Marksman and left an Expert. I still have his butterbar attached to my pack.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I have done the "Here, you want to try shooting this one?" and handed a friend a customized Mag-Na-Ported Model 57 where the first two chambers were loaded with regular old Silvertips and the third had a Cor-Bon 265gr Elmer Keith Memorial Rhino Roller... 'cause apparently it's hilarious to startle people into thinking the gun just blew up.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Being a range officer I have to bite my tongue all the time and not be a jackass to idiots. I always feel like a douche when a customer insists on me shooting their pistol or rifle that "just isn't shooting accurately" or some such. I'm no expert marksman, but I can hold my own. Sometimes it does take a monumental effort to not smirk at people after out shooting them with their own gun. It's the people that honestly want to be better and just aren't getting it that make me feel bad.

User Tag List