Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DAO vs DA/SA, what do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    LEM is my preferred trigger system for pistols that might be used for defensive purposes. But the LEM is not a proper DAO, as mentioned earlier.
    While technically LEM isn't DAO (HK's true DAO featured a heavy triggerpull, and consequently is pretty rarely seen), it operational use I'd argue that it is from a practical/user standpoint, with caveats. While a long (and fairly light) initial triggerpull is required, there's also a fairly short reset, so your follow up shots can feature a much abbreviated triggerpull distance. I guess in retrospect, it's an interesting amalgamation of DAO and DA/SA, or a light DAO, depending on training and action preferences. 1st shot DAO, 2nd shot if utilizing the reset, result is close to SA; if 1st shot DAO, if trigger is then run out fully forward, 2nd shot is more DAO-ish.

Triggerpulls can be excellent; anecdotally I think HK's LEM has a better rep triggerpull-wise (especially regarding smoothness) than comparable HK DA/SA triggerpulls on the same platforms.

I certainly like mine, but I had HK modify mine to provide more trigerpull resistance weight, midway between V1 and V2. That to me makes my triggerpull much more like other "true" DAO pistols/revolvers.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    I mostly carry and shoot S&W revolvers, and Glocks.

I like DAO, and shoot a lot of S&W revolvers as if they were DAO, even though only one of mine actually is a DAO.

I’ve had a DAO 3rd gen S&W, and liked it, but not well enough to keep it long term. The Glock trigger is functionally very much like the DAO 3rd gen S&W trigger: partially cocked or tensioned, but requiring completing trigger movement to finish cocking/fully tensioning all the firing mechanism springs, with a shorter trigger movement than it would otherwise have. Dry firing requires cycling the slide to reset the trigger. So, not identical, but similar in actual use.

What do I like about DAO? The predictable trigger, for one, with some actual trigger travel. The lack of a “wall”, for another. The lack of a need to decock, even though that isn’t a big deal, but I see the argument made for the advantage in a stressful situation of having one less manual task to remember to do.

I prefer SFA or SAO. But I enjoy DA/SA guns like the Beretta 92’s. I think a DAO gun could be great if it has a good balance of weight and travel. I’ve shot a LEM P2000 and the trigger was just awful. But in 2004-ish I had a Para LDA and that trigger was amazing! I just didn’t trust the gun overall.

I had a P30SK light LEM but all my HK SKs went away when I got my 365. IMHO it makes tremendous sense for EDC but it's different enough from TDA and striker fired that I found it difficult to transition between. My 229s have Sig Armorer action jobs and the DA is very light. My USPCs have Gray Guns action jobs and reduced weight hammer springs; DA is not as slick as the 229s but is not onerous. SA on all of them is better than any striker fired gun I own so the one DA pull to get to the SA is worth it to me.

All my guns "ready to go" for self-defense are DAO at the moment.

DA gives you just a hair more room to make a minor mistake a not send a round out into the world when you don't mean to. I have caught myself with my finger on the trigger or close to it when I didn't mean to more than once. I like a system that provides me with more feedback than a SA or striker-fired gun.

Of course, no system will make you ND-proof. If you haven't read Dagga's musings on triggers, I would do so.

The only thing you really give up is a bit of speed, and for my purposes, that is fine. I shoot just as well DA as SA on my TDA guns, measured in group sizes. With a bit of stress, I shoot BETTER DA than SA.

If you try it and don't like it, you will have better trigger control than previously, most likely, and what's the harm in that?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm a major proponent for DAO and/or LEM, particularly on a duty gun; Dagga Boy has an excellent discussion thread here on p-f on the merits of LEM compared to other action alternatives in a duty gun.

My LEM is a V1.5 in a P30L; my DAO is a Beretta 92D, heavily upgraded with Wilson Combat and Langdonn LTT components.

There is a learning curve with LEM and DAO, and if you're a gun gamer primarily it's probably not the best choice for pure speed.

The smoothness of the Beretta DAO is equivelant to a tuned classic S&W revolver, it's really nice.

Best, Jon
    I'm not a gamer. This will be a carry. Thanks.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Hammertime
    I have to say I picked up a DAO 92 Centurion a week ago and I kind of dig it. It won't replace Glocks for me but it is no slouch in the shooting category.

Name:  DD654A80-7DBC-46CB-A36C-555128A0A385.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  67.0 KB

Advanced Supertest from Concealment. Kinda slow on the 5 yard section is all 96@15, 97@10, and 98 on the 5:

Name:  3069F2A2-8DC8-4FB9-8527-F480C70BE014.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  40.1 KB

Philosophically I prefer guns with as few doo-dads on them as possible. No safeties, no decockers. In practice, all doo-dads can all be trained and used effectively.

I personally pull the trigger great on DAO pistols, however, but only for the initial shot or subsequent shots at a casual pace. I for one have not been able to master slapping the trigger at speed, so I much prefer a DA/SA to DAO (or even striker-fired triggers).

Now if we're talking about the LEM trigger (or SIG's DAK system), I've never tried those so I can't speak to their ability to be fired with a rapid cadence, but I would imagine the SA of a DA/SA trigger would makes that much easier, especially with a relatively short reset.
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    The DAO trigger on my SIG P250 is better than even my best S&W revolver trigger. Keeping my eyes open for a spare locally at a good price.
    I loved the trigger on my P250, but I couldn't shoot it as fast or as accurately at speed. For slow shots, however, it was very accurate, and I'd say the same was true even with the DAO on my S&W M&P Bodyguard 380. I'd have to say that both were even better than the factory DA pull on my SIG P229 Enhanced Elite or my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact before I gave it some LTT magic.
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I have to say I picked up a DAO 92 Centurion a week ago and I kind of dig it. It won't replace Glocks for me but it is no slouch in the shooting category.

Name:  DD654A80-7DBC-46CB-A36C-555128A0A385.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  67.0 KB

Advanced Supertest from Concealment. Kinda slow on the 5 yard section is all 96@15, 97@10, and 98 on the 5:

Name:  3069F2A2-8DC8-4FB9-8527-F480C70BE014.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  40.1 KB

Philosophically I prefer guns with as few doo-dads on them as possible. No safeties, no decockers. In practice, all doo-dads can all be trained and used effectively.
    The first time in my life that I understood what a good DA pull was when I fondled a Beretta 92D in a gun shop in 1990.

In fact, it was the first time I realized that a trigger pull could bring a smile to my face!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List