Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DAO vs DA/SA, what do you prefer?

DAO vs DA/SA, what do you prefer?

Who likes DAO pistols?

I just went to pick up a new HK P-30 SK. I wanted a DA/SA pistol but I received a DAO pistol. Probably wasn't clear on that and dealer ordered and received DAO.

Not sure I want to keep it but I've never had a DAO pistol. The trigger travel is very long and I'm used to SA more than DA. It has no safety, and no decocker but doesn't need either. I don't like safeties anyway on a carry pistol. It seems to be a very nice pistol but I think I will have a hard time getting used to DAO. I haven't shot it as it's NIB. If I shoot it it will be used. The trigger does have a very smooth take up, just really long.

Anybody prefer DAO over DA/SA for carry? I might keep it, but not sure at this point. P30's are hard to find right now. I'm not sure my dealer can get a DA/SA P-30 right now.

Just looking for opinions as I know it's a personal choice.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I prefer the HK LEM over DA/SA since it avoids the decocker. The trigger is unique and many people find it takes a good amount of dedicated practice to master it.

There are several very good threads here on PF about the trigger. Here are a couple:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....t-trigger-quot
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....th-look-at-LEM

Site Supporter
    I started as a revolver shooter so I tend to think of DAOs as revolvers with a magazine. This isn't a popular position these days but I much prefer DAO to DA/SA designs. My preference was always the crisp SA trigger of the 1911 but I bought several DAOs to try and learn on. If you like the consistent trigger pull of the Glock but are put off by it being too short and too light, the DAO might be just what you need.

Dave

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Who likes DAO pistols?

I just went to pick up a new HK P-30 SK. I wanted a DA/SA pistol but I received a DAO pistol. Probably wasn't clear on that and dealer ordered and received DAO.
    Unlikely you received a true DAO. There once was such a thing as an H&K true DAO, and you can even still get the parts to piece one together if you want, but AFAIK, they stopped being produced by H&K once LEM was created. LEM is not DAO. There are several threads around here about LEM. You should read some of them as part of your journey deciding what you think about your new pistol.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Good advice from OlongJohnson.

Years ago I had a true DAO only HK USPc in .40. it started as a variant 1 and I sent it to HK to convert to DAO but leave the safety. I carried it until the HK45c came out and sold it to finance one of those. Unfortunately that started a 'gun of the week' phase. I should have just kept the USPc...
    Last edited by sharps54; 06-11-2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Unlikely you received a true DAO. There once was such a thing as an H&K true DAO, and you can even still get the parts to piece one together if you want, but AFAIK, they stopped being produced by H&K once LEM was created. LEM is not DAO. There are several threads around here about LEM. You should read some of them as part of your journey deciding what you think about your new pistol.
    I don't have the gun with me. The dealer still has it. Are you saying if it's a DAO it's a LEM trigger. I might want to try LEM.

I'll look at the threads. Thanks.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Between the two - I've come to prefer DAO.

But as noted, it's probably a heavy LEM.

Can you tell us what Variant is listed on the box?

I really started on the revolver road 2 years ago. A long time ago i had some revolvers i carried but never took them to the level i have now.

I still like DA/SA but really prefer DA.

Can i mag dump faster shooting SA? Yes. Do i think it matters in thevreal world? No.

I'm planning on a more DAO focus this summer. I've already got a 92D Centurion, and have pulled the sear from my 92FS/G, so it too is a DAO.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

DAO vs DA/SA, what do you prefer?

Pretty much all I shoot are TDA CZs. I’m carrying a P-07 right now, and couldn’t ask for a better gun. I like the fairly light 7lb DA, and crisp 3.25lb SA.

However, my daughter is strongly considering a p30sk light LEM. This seems like a safe gun, that is reliable, shootable, and simple.

She has really small hands, so we are wondering if the reach will be too long, even with the smallest grip panels. @Borderland, can you comment on that?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List