Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And in other news... the “flying Ginsu” bomb

And in other news... the “flying Ginsu” bomb

Hadn’t heard about this before — modified Hellfire carrying 100lb inert projectile with six blades that extend immediately before impact. Check the pictures of the car that was hit — you can see where the blades sliced through. Even though it was developed to minimize collateral casualties, I have to say the psychological impact of this thing seems greater to me than a traditional explosive munition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/wo...ssile.amp.html

Awesome...

Someone said, “Let’s create a laser guided 100-pound Ninja throwing star.” And then they did.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Similar article that's not behind a pay wall.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...t-sword-blades

Interesting history of the munition, as well.

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/201...issile/156943/
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I imagine it leaves quite a mess behind.

Site Supporter
    It reminds me of those 90's Ronco infomercials.

"Flying Ginsu can cut through a car, but is still sharp enough to cleanly cube hadji into pieces!"

But wait! That's not all...

From the Defense One article linked by BBI above:

“[T]he idea that you could fling a sword-twirling missile at nearly one and a half times the speed of sound at a moving vehicle with any certainty that it would only kill the intended occupant is, in reality, preposterous.”

It seems preposterous, but in reality, it appears like that’s exactly what they’ve been able to do. Which is amazing. I am still trying to get my head around a 100lb weight with six blades sticking out of it dropping out of the sky at ~1,000mph and through the windshield or roof of a moving car.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    From the Defense One article linked by BBI above:

“[T]he idea that you could fling a sword-twirling missile at nearly one and a half times the speed of sound at a moving vehicle with any certainty that it would only kill the intended occupant is, in reality, preposterous.”

It seems preposterous, but in reality, it appears like that’s exactly what they’ve been able to do. Which is amazing. I am still trying to get my head around a 100lb weight with six blades sticking out of it dropping out of the sky at ~1,000mph and through the windshield or roof of a moving car.
    I just chalk it up as magic and go on with my life. The eggheads who make shit like this work are the wizards of the day and I know they could crayon it out for me without me ever really getting it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Interesting update on the “flying Ginsu” bomb. Doing work in Syria:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/24/u...gtype=Homepage

“ U.S. Special Operations forces, with no fanfare, killed a top Qaeda leader in northwest Syria in an unusual drone strike nearly two weeks ago. They used a secretive weapon — a so-called Ninja Hellfire missile on which the explosive warhead is replaced by long blades to crush or slice its victim while minimizing risks to any civilians nearby. It was the second time in three months that American commandos have killed a senior Qaeda leader in northwest Syria with these specially designed missiles.”

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Name:  Screenshot from 2020-09-25 07-06-18.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  66.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post

User Tag List