Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road to Perdition

Hammertime

Road to Perdition

So I finally watched the old 2002 movie Road to Perdition and it is just a masterpiece for Sam Mendes. Very thankful to watch it. Great story, visuals, music and performances. I am now a huge Sam Mendes fan between this and 1917.

Come to find out the movie is based on a graphic novel, and that graphic novel is based on a Japanese Manga series "Lone Wolf and Cub" And, the Lone Wolf and Cub is the basis for Samurai Assassin (1980), a kind of cult movie that I loved as a kid. Mainly due to the giant showers of blood that spurted with all the head chopping.

I also think a lot of the appeal of The Mandalorian comes from a similar formula of a badass killer on the road with an innocent kid.

Link to one of the many incredible scenes:

https://youtu.be/U5418CiBukw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Anyway, I wonder how many other stories use this formula a bit: True Grit? Others? I never considered it a trope, but perhaps it is.

Either way, see the movie immediately. Good use of 1911s, Colt revolvers, 1907 Savage .32, and a gauge with a proper pattern at 5 yards.

Site Supporter
    I really enjoyed that flick and I've watched it a few times. Looks like it's time for another re-watch. Thanks for the reminder.

That movie never got the reviews it deserved and was soon forgotten. When I first watched it I thought it would be a classic but I guess I was wrong.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

That was a great movie. A portion of it was filmed in the town I was a police officer in (West Dundee, Illinois).
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

I saw it when it first came out and I liked it. But I never got around to seeing it again, which is unusual for a movie I like. It doesn't seem like it's ever really been on tv. I guess it would take valuable air time away from the Kardashians.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I saw it when it first came out and I liked it. But I never got around to seeing it again, which is unusual for a movie I like. It doesn't seem like it's ever really been on tv. I guess it would take valuable air time away from the Kardashians.
    Speaking of "perdition".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    That was a great movie. A portion of it was filmed in the town I was a police officer in (West Dundee, Illinois).
    Small world. I worked the detail when they shot in East Dundee (ex KCOEM.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    It's my wife's favorite movie. The score is excellent. Thomas Newman is the composer and once you're familiar with it you can easily spot his work in other movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Anyway, I wonder how many other stories use this formula a bit: True Grit? Others? I never considered it a trope, but perhaps it is.
    Leon: The Professional comes to mind.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Leon: The Professional comes to mind.
    I would've sworn that movie was just called, "The Professional" when I first saw it in the 90s.

Turns out, it was. "Leon: The Professional" was the international title, and the name of the director's cut. I thought I was having a Mandela Effect moment...

User Tag List