Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather Gun Belt for Heavy Fullsize

Leather Gun Belt for Heavy Fullsize

My current belts don’t seem to support the weight of my fullsize 1911, Glock 34 and mags all that well. The one that works the best, although still not that great, is my heavy duty, nylon Klik Belt. It’s too tactical for my tastes, although it’s a comfortable and functional belt otherwise. My other belts are a Desantis and an Urban Carry belt, the latter of which has bowed a bit in the middle. They’re decent belts when I don’t carry, though.

So I thought I’d bite the bullet and splurge on a quality leather belt. I’ve narrowed it down to three so far - Armour Belts Gun Belt, TheBeltman Dual Leather with reinforcement, and Mean Gene Leather’s Shooter’s Belt with reinforcement. Beltman and MGL have an inner reinforcement option, but I don’t know if the Armour Belt also has that option. Even so, the Armour Belt appears to be a bit thicker at 5/16” thick. So that might compensate for the lack of a reinforcement insert. But I wonder if the thickness might make it harder for holster clips and snap-on holster loops and such?

Anyway, my online search resulted in quite a few positive views on all three, with very few negative comments. I also found comparisons, but none between either of the three. If you had to choose, which one would you pick?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If I could add another option, check out this older thread.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....lt-mag-carrier

I still use that belt and have purchased additional ones. I'm not 100% sure Red is still making them, but you can contact him here: gauntleather@hotmail.com
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Wow, that’s a really cool holster/belt combo! I had never heard of a curved belt, but I’m still relatively new to EDC. So looks like he’s in Australia?

Unless you're open carrying and need to look nice, leather sucks for a gunbelt.

*I'm a certified leather snob.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Yup, biothane all the way for me. I bought one used off of this site something like 6-7 years ago and I'm wearing it now. Superb.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=biothane+...b_sb_ss_i_1_12
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yup, biothane all the way for me. I bought one used off of this site something like 6-7 years ago and I'm wearing it now. Superb.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=biothane+...b_sb_ss_i_1_12
    Fwiw im currently wearing a horsehide belt with a revolver in a kydex aiwb holster so my views on carry gear are not exactly normal.

I think horsehide is the way to go. Noticably thinner than cowhide and retains less moisture. Much stiffer too.

Ive tried biothane. I have a first spear belt but hardly ever wear it. I dont think its stiff enough.

Stiff enough for my 1911
    Name:  KIMG1050_JPG-1024373_jpeg-1175861.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  74.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

It depends. I use a Mean Gene leather belt now with the Ares buckle over everything else. My next choice is the Ares nylon belts.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Check out the Tow Belt from Saddleback Leather. 3 layers of heavy leather stitched together. It's my every day belt (gun + 1 mag) *and* my USPSA belt (gun + 4 mags), and it does fine in both roles.

I have spent A LOT of money on leather belts over the years. #1 problem I encounter is hole count and spacing. 5-hole belts with 1" gaps plain suck - you're always going to find yourself running the belt too tight or too loose. 7-hole belts with 3/4" spacing are a lot better, but still only "perfect" when your body and gear perfectly match.

I have reached the point where I only wear one belt - the Volund Gearworks G-hook. I'm wearing one right now with shorts under an untucked t-shirt. I can micro-adjust it to comfort and support as needed - for instance, switching from a 1911 IWB to a Glock IWB - just loosen it a hair and you're back to comfort and stability. I use it with everything from micro-pistols IWB to OWB carry with 5" all steel 1911s - no issues whatsoever.

Now, it's ugly as a $5 crack whore, but I rarely worry about how it looks.

If I need to dress up in a suit (wedding, funeral, or testifying are the only times that happens anymore), I slip on one of my multitude of leather belts to match shoes and suit. Then as soon as I'm home, the belt goes back in the closet.

YMMV, and I've never sprung for a real custom leather belt (Sparks, et al), but I've tried and rejected Mean Gene, Beltman, various biothane offerings, and a crap ton of other belt makers. Not saying any of them are particularly BAD, but the G-hook is BETTER for everything except wearing with a suit.

Jim Ryan (JRC) makes a double thickness horsehide belt that will carry your 1911 just fine, Comfortable and beautiful too.

I have been using one like the pictured one several years. Highly recommended.

Name:  belt_1.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  61.2 KB

User Tag List