Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why policemen are leaving

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    What is your take on Greg Ellifritz's argument for a shift to "peace officer" perspectives vs "law enforcement officer"? Is this a distinction with any real difference?

Could this change the profession's retention?
    For many of us, that is what we did. That is often not up to the officers. Say for example we cut out the revenue generation for the city or county? Who do you think is driving that b.s. ? That is the same asshole politicians whining now about police enforcement. You think most cops give two shits about people selling cigarettes and crap like that? How about citrus and floral crimes? I was basically booted out of a unit because we were so successful at actually arresting almost exclusively in progress felonies in numbers never seen before that we were moved to the COPS unit that was federally funded and worked bullshit like illegal aliens selling flowers and oranges at off ramps while my team was deep in the ghetto or barrio every night getting guns and dope sellers who were making life miserable for the decent folks who lived there. The breaking point for me and what got me ousted was a worthless yellow LT. who wanted us to go to schools to read books to little kids instead of doing actual cop stuff. We had tons of officers working overtime doing nothing but writing seatbelt tickets for a federal grant while patrol was understaffed for actually answering calls for service. Reality check-most of what the politicians and the liberal press are bitching about today was wholly created by them.
    Want to know why I am in favor of privatized security contractors....because the job will be one thing, keeping the community of people who can afford it safe and protected with no pressure or mission creep based on money generation or doing social work projects.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I know people who have retired with 30. I'm one of them but not LE. First 20 was a walk in the park, last 10 was a bitch. That all had to do with politics and a changing administration. I retired early at 63 because in a matter of a year or two I went from an outstanding employee to marginal. Nothing changed with me, just management. I'm sure a lot of people will have to make that decision. In my case it was easy. Had I only had 10 or 15 years in the system I would have hit the street looking for another job. I had some good job offers in the private sector at about 24 years in but the prize was there and I claimed it.

I truly hope that anyone within a few years of a pension can weather the storm. You paid for it and it should be yours. Figure out what you have to do to get there and do it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The real impacts of all this won’t be fully understood for years. It’s going to be rough and I would strongly suggest anyone who can get out do so and anyone considering the profession to end that consideration now. For those who are in it without a realistic exit strategy, my prayers and hopefully we get through by encouraging each other and helping out where we can.
    Last edited by Sawyer; 06-14-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Long winded

One of you guys with larger agencies might be able to answer these questions:

What percentage of officers are 'career officers' serving until they can draw retirement or beyond?

What are the average years that an officer serves before moving on to other things?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    One of you guys with larger agencies might be able to answer these questions:

What percentage of officers are 'career officers' serving until they can draw retirement or beyond?

What are the average years that an officer serves before moving on to other things?
    Historically, unless they screw up, few leave prior to getting a pension. Especially if they make it past the 5 year mark. I had roughly 55 in my class graduate FTO. Probably 2/3 of us are still with the department and we're coming up on the start of our 15th year. One is medically retired, one left for a commission in the Army (was already a reservist warrant officer when he came on), two left to return to their hometowns and smaller departments, one has been fired for a domestic violence incident, and I'm probably missing some.

A lot depends on how old they were when they were hired, but my *guess* is somewhere in the 25-30 year range, but there are some who hang on way past that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Historically, unless they screw up, few leave prior to getting a pension. Especially if they make it past the 5 year mark. I had roughly 55 in my class graduate FTO. Probably 2/3 of us are still with the department and we're coming up on the start of our 15th year. One is medically retired, one left for a commission in the Army (was already a reservist warrant officer when he came on), two left to return to their hometowns and smaller departments, one has been fired for a domestic violence incident, and I'm probably missing some.

A lot depends on how old they were when they were hired, but my *guess* is somewhere in the 25-30 year range, but there are some who hang on way past that.
    So your guess would be 2/3 or slightly less. Interesting, I didn't have a large metro department frame of reference, now I have an idea. Thanks.

I've known a few guys to suck it up until they are vested under our state system (5 or 15 years depending on plan) and then say adios to do something else, figuring on collecting at age 60 or 65.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 06-15-2020 at 12:02 AM.

Why is this even a question?

Because our worthless shitbag leaders blow our true ruling class every day, and maximize rent-seeking, soul--destroying, community-oblitering evil every second of every day they can because it earns them a bit more in their bank accounts.

(Speaking as the son of someone who's father reached the status of Fortune 500 CEO briefly, Fortune 500 CEO status means you've ALMOST reached "true leader" status. You must show more willingness to do anything before you get to join the club.)

Because propaganda is our "news."

Because the elite want anything but change.

Because we live in a plutomony.

Because if you are a cop, the best you can do is hold back the Tsunami of liquid shit falling on America, briefly, until it destroys your soul. Because the Tsunami of liquid shit is highly profitable for the "right" people, and real solutions aren't.

If my profanity offends anyone, my sincere apologies.

But how can I express the profane without profanity?

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04...anscript5.html

https://fabiusmaximus.com/2020/06/15...ng-for-america
    Last edited by Baldanders; 06-15-2020 at 12:44 AM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    No. People want change, and they're about to get it.
    Good and hard.

Our Tier 2 guys and gals are finding other jobs that don't require that you put up with this stuff for 30 years before you can retire.....and even then you have to be 57 to draw your pension. We see a lot of them leave after a few years when they get their belly full of the stress and lack of support.

Us older Tier 1 guys/gals are now looking at every option to leave early or cash in sick time built up. There is a general feeling of "it's just not worth it any longer"......especially since we have a good cop facing a Murder trial for basically doing what he was trained to do.

Personally, I have about two years to go and had always planned to stick around an extra 5 if my health didn't nosedive. Forget that now. I'll leave the minute I am eligible and not one solitary second longer if all stays like it is going.

I fall down and thank the Lord above that my only child has absolutely no desire to do this for a living.

My zone is heavy minority and there are some absolutely great people who live there. A part of me will feel like I am leaving them to the wolves when I go but I'm getting too old to do this job anyway.

And for all those that want us gone, here's a list of the calls just in my zone from last week:

Two gang shootouts........one of which they lit up several apartments and houses on the street....and hit a 16 year old kid playing Xbox in the arm
    huge crashes
    One guy was walking down the road with human femurs in his backpack. They had to fight him and medicate him. Ended up finding the rest of the body later
    Guy wanted for attempted murder who pooped all over himself and the arresting officers
    Had to trespass a Covid 19 patient from her boyfriend's apartment.

That's just a sampling of one week in my tiny zone. Those problems aren't going to magically go away. If anything, they will get worse with the current climate of cop hating to the nth degree.

And so far, I haven't seen anyone step up to the plate and say "Send me..."

I doubt anyone will.

Regards.

I represent a different group of people in this line of work. I am retired from a career of office/travel corporate work and deciding to do something that benefits my community. Being employed by the local SO as Court Security/Baliff/Special Deputy. No, I'm not POPS certified but I'm healthy, in very good physical shape, and have wisdom of years (). The pay really doesn't matter and I see myself as support to the road deputies. I don't try to be one of them but I do play a role in doing things like health checks on elderly, assisting the SROs in school kid projects and security, and administrative functions. Can do ride-alongs and help diffuse situations because of knowing so many people. Also prefer to provide assistance in juvenile cases since I can work with the defendants, and victims, from the enforcement through the legal processes.

Yes, the profession is changing and I hear it from the many deputies, and state police troopers, I encounter. It appears that the attraction to career-minded people may be, sadly, leaving, but there are still opportunities for people like me to find their niche.

User Tag List