Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why policemen are leaving

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It used to be the case that certain cities sent out recruiters to poach pretty heavily. I think it was Seattle (ironically) that even had a full-time recruiter permanently assigned to NYC when NYPD was still getting paid below the poverty line. I remember one of my college buddies with DC Metro PD back in 2007 told me about a few cities in other states that still had lateral transfer agreements for them, no need to go through a full police academy again.

Is this active recruiting from other states still a thing? 'Cause if it isn't, I'm betting it will start back up in earnest with so many PDs hurting for qualified individuals.
    Or take the easy out if they can't get the bodies: Lower the Standards
    That always ends well.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Years ago lots of agents jumped ship from other agencies to go to my outfit. In fact, they had to make an agreement at one point about poaching from other outfits. I was very happy they recruited me...

I wish only the best for our brothers and sisters in blue facing tough decisions. I hope they can find a place worthy of them.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I fail to see how pd agencies can be disbanded because when planners begin deciding what can and cannot be done, they will do nothing. I do predict that some tactics will halt: using traffic violations as probable cause for looking for other violations; pursuing suspects on foot; engaging in car chases; and arresting those with outstanding warrants discovered during traffic stops. I think city governments will very strongly encourage retailers to ignore shop lifters and to discourage them by presence of floor walkers and cameras. The reason is to reduce frequency of confrontation.

Traffic fines are a source of municipal income. I predict that cops will purposely cease giving tickets. If all cease, then the group can hardly be punished. Managers will see a universal lack of initiative which in the cop world is proactive policing.

Another prediction is that cops will lose their long guns, especially AR's. Now sergeants will keep these in their cars. Further, special op teams will have a structural change. Teams will lose some operator types. Social workers will replace trained operators.

My city has 17000 outstanding warrants, mostly for unpaid fines and failure to appear. The jail lacks room for even the tiniest fraction of them. A big chunk of these warrants apply to the custodial population having womb to tomb sustenance. We will see even more non compliance now that rules are relaxing. A peculiar fact is that according to city data, the vast majority of 911 calls originate in these neighborhoods which also have high crime rates.There police see a sad thing--black on black crime which includes black on black homicides.

My former home city was starting guys off at (get ready) $37,000 and change. And that's for a municipality with plenty of business. Up here, we have our share of asshats and are certainly filling up our jail, but we're just not even in the same class--starting salary this year for a deputy is $48k, and you can live a lot cheaper. I don't even know a neighborhood down there where you can park your car at night on that kind of money. To make matters worse, after a bunch of hacks got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, the city gave away all the overtime jobs to other agencies--that was money that a lot of guys were counting on to make ends meet. The mayor bragged that he "hired 400 cops during his tenure". Unfortunately, 700+ have left. I think there's barely a guy left with more than 15 years on.

People want professional conduct in a demanding field--well, then you'd better pay well and hold the job in high esteem.

PS--Don't piss and moan about pensions, either. The state pensions are in bad shape because the states stopped paying into them. New Jersey gave a bunch of money to some investment firm (p sure it was the former governor's wife or brother-in-law or some shit), who proceeded to somehow lose money, whereupon they were paid a bonus. They also decided to lump the police pension in with the Board of Ed pension, which was a trainwreck due to ridiculous payscaling and great terms for administrators. When you see some guy walking out with a pension, understand that he didn't just get handed that money, he worked as much as 30 years and paid into it the whole time, with the expectation of a certain RoI. Cutting it is just taxing public servants to pay for the state's malfeasance. There's certainly some abusers of the system--go on disability, come back for a day, retire at 15 with a full disability pension, start career #2, get another 15, collect pension #2--but these cases are extraordinarily rare.

Ditto for "zomg he retired and turned in his comp time, they had to write him a check for $90k". Yeah, because he worked his whole life, accrued time, and didn't take days off.

/endrant

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    My former home city was starting guys off at (get ready) $37,000 and change.
    Significantly under $20/hour to be a police officer? That falls under "how about no," at least from my perspective of making well over that as a mid level IT guy, you know, *not* risking my life at work.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Significantly under $20/hour to be a police officer? That falls under "how about no," at least from my perspective of making well over that as a mid level IT guy, you know, *not* risking my life at work.
    There are a large number of jobs significantly more dangerous than law enforcement that pay $20/hr or less. Some people just don't do well in today's modern office environment, myself included. I would end up in a straight jacket in short order if I had to sit in a cubicle. If you can do it and make a good living at it I applaud you. I think I was born about 180 years too late.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Or so they told you, and you believed, until zombies took over your system...

I don't think these guys are the first, and am pretty sure they won't be the last. It will be interesting to see how this develops. In any event, God bless these young fellows.

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2020/06/13/florida-swat-team-members-resign-over-safety-concerns-disrespect-by-officials/

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    I don't think these guys are the first, and am pretty sure they won't be the last. It will be interesting to see how this develops. In any event, God bless these young fellows.

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2020/06/13/florida-swat-team-members-resign-over-safety-concerns-disrespect-by-officials/
    I stand by and agree with these officers' decision to return to general assignments. If the Vice-Mayor (and Command Officers) is gonna talk shit about dedicated officers who are there to provide support during situations that require specialized measures, she compromises their ability to operate across the board. Looks like she'll need to have her Chief find more guys to throw into the meat-grinder of public opinion. Something tells me that very few officers, if any, will step up to fill those vacancies.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Years ago lots of agents jumped ship from other agencies to go to my outfit. In fact, they had to make an agreement at one point about poaching from other outfits. I was very happy they recruited me...

I wish only the best for our brothers and sisters in blue facing tough decisions. I hope they can find a place worthy of them.
    Yep, you just pray the professionals find a place that deserves them and the “minimal standards” will simply be promoted in the municipality”s to supervise whoever thinks that a big city cop job is a good idea.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List