Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reassembly of G45 Went Off the Rails

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Actually it worked. Along with a couple wacks of a rubber mallet on the rear of the slide, that is. Thanks so much for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Is there anything a rubber mallet can’t do?😎

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Is there anything a rubber mallet can’t do?😎
    You should probably ask @Hambo.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Vending Machine Operator
    As a follow up, I tried to piece together how I did this. I think that because of the cut outs on both sides of the slide for the ambi slide release, it is a little bit easier to accidentally let the slide go pop off the rails while reattaching the slide of a Gen5 Glock, than with previous generation Glocks.

I think this is true. A relatively junior (1-2 years in service) police officer friend of mine came to visit me back in February and excitedly showed me her new Gen 5 17 because she knows I'm a gun guy. She had just received the pistol and done a shooting day followed by maintenance and cleaning along with her shift-mates 2-3 days prior. I was turning it over in my hands and my heart stopped when I realized it was assembled incorrectly. At a very casual glance it looked assembled right but the recoil spring was protruding just a bit from the front. After a second I realized she had jumped one of the rear rails in reassembly. I put it back together the right way after using a little muscle to get un-assembled again. It was locked up and would not cycle, and would not have fired if she needed it. She carried it on duty like that for 2-3 shifts. I shudder to think.

She is not a police officer anymore, decided she wanted to work with animals, and I think that's probably for the best for the animals and her shiftmates alike. But definitely a good reminder for anyone at any skill level. Always check your gear before duty or CCW.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

How the Hell did the gun get into her holster, out of her holster, and into your hands without ever having the slide retracted??

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    How the Hell did the gun get into her holster, out of her holster, and into your hands without ever having the slide retracted??
    I told the story poorly pre-coffee, that's how I realized it was assembled wrong. She came over to my house after an in service day wearing her plainclothes rig, just the holster and badge. Holster, btw, which she got from another officer and was made for a G21, so it poorly fit the G17 and it practically rattled around in there. First thing I did once I was holding it was ejected the magazine and went to clear it and the slide wouldn't retract, which is why I started examining it and saw the recoil spring protruding.

Just an absolute mess of a situation which is now even messier since I somehow had forgotten until you asked that she didn't clear the gun before handing it to me.

I was going to buy her an actual properly fitting holster but she quit pretty shortly after that.

Site Supporter
    I have nothing offer to the thread other than this.

After a whole day I just got the humor in “came of the rails”.

A guy I worked with told me Diet soda releases free radicals in the brain. Maybe that’s my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I have nothing offer to the thread other than this.

After a whole day I just got the humor in “came of the rails”.

A guy I worked with told me Diet soda releases free radicals in the brain. Maybe that’s my issue.
    There's a lot of free radicals in Seattle. Maybe you should see if you can fix 'em.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    There's a lot of free radicals in Seattle. Maybe you should see if you can fix 'em.
    Lol now that is funny.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The far left took over a neighborhood in Seattle, and the first thing they did was....establish and enforce strong, selective borders.

Hmm.

Actually it worked. Along with a couple wacks of a rubber mallet on the rear of the slide, that is. Thanks so much for your help!

After taking the practical for the Advanced Armorer class, which was finding various issues with 30 Glock’s of varying models, I brought up this situation. Rubber mallet was correct! Good job!

Side note: I don’t wanna see the internals on another Glock for awhile...

User Tag List