Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Serious] Should we have a "serious" tag for non-humorous, serious discussions?

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    There's a time and place for humor, BS, inside jokes and callbacks and general asides.

But seems to me that every serious discussion inevitably has a couple of jokers, or folks that feel they have to say something even when they clearly don't have anything that adds to the conversation.

Take this one. What should be a serious discussion about what to say to the police after a self-defense incident. One guy wants to comment on the clothing of the presenters on a youtube video, then some joker posts a Sanford and Son youtube clip.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1063700

All these out of work comedians need to a break and allow serious discussion to take place in threads for serious discussion.

Reddit uses a [serious] tag to let people know this isn't the thread for jokes and memes. We could implement something similar. I don't know what to do about all the random asides from folks that post too much. But this would be a start to increasing the signal to noise ratio - something that used to be a selling point of this forum but I fear is slipping away.
    Lol nah, but it doesn't surprise me you'd be the one to post this thread. Put on your big boy pants, you're in General Discussion. If we're having a technical discussion and someone says something dumb, the mods can handle that, but otherwise why stifle the forum? Part of what makes this place literally the only forum worth visiting is that we have some big personalities here.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    There's a time and place for humor, BS, inside jokes and callbacks and general asides.

But seems to me that every serious discussion inevitably has a couple of jokers, or folks that feel they have to say something even when they clearly don't have anything that adds to the conversation.

Take this one. What should be a serious discussion about what to say to the police after a self-defense incident. One guy wants to comment on the clothing of the presenters on a youtube video, then some joker posts a Sanford and Son youtube clip.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1063700

All these out of work comedians need to a break and allow serious discussion to take place in threads for serious discussion.

Reddit uses a [serious] tag to let people know this isn't the thread for jokes and memes. We could implement something similar. I don't know what to do about all the random asides from folks that post too much. But this would be a start to increasing the signal to noise ratio - something that used to be a selling point of this forum but I fear is slipping away.
    As a Juilliard trained dual board certified psychiatrist/dermatologist, my professional advice is to

Name:  6BB31D45-7BC5-4153-8DCF-4639A549CC9E.jpeg
Views: 225
Size:  26.2 KB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I think this has ran it's course.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List