Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the CZ 75 compact

Tell me about the CZ 75 compact

I'm taking a long hard look at these........never been a cz devotee but I'm rapidly warming up to the concept of a hi-cap 9mm that I can carry cocked and locked and this gun looks well proportioned and well built.....would be my first toe-dip into the world of CZ and id like to hear any expirences of how it carries/shoots....

I love mine. Just bought it 4 months ago and installed a Cajun Gun Works Pro Package, Lok G10 Grips, Dawson Precision night sights, stainless recoil rod and magazine brake, and an extra power safety lever spring from DS Perman.

If ambi safeties are important to you, you might consider a P01 Omega instead.

For cocked and locked, have you considered holding out for the DWX Compact?
    David S.

If you're used to the 1911-type thumb safety, the CZ is in a different position and feels different. I find the extended versions work much better for engaging/disengaging for my 1911-trained brain. The flipside is, those safeties are bigger and may require custom fitting with your holster maker.

That's not to say they aren't great guns or the problem can't be overcome, just something to bear in mind.

It's less sexy, but, if I were in your shoes looking for a 14 or 15 round compact to carry cocked and locked that wasn't in the EDC X9 or DWX price ranges, I'd give some serious consideration to an M&P 2.0 Compact with manual safety, and maybe a trigger upgrade. Having handled those, they may be the winner for me due to how 1911-like the safety is - I'm not personally a fan of safety or decocker ergonomics on the 75 series. Completely hypothetical on my part since that's not the route I've taken, but I do really like a family member's safety-equipped M&P 2.0.

If you want cocked and locked, the rare steel frame variant of the P-01 is currently available again after a long absence and comes with a safety. When this current batch is gone it may be years or never until we see them again.

The regular P-01s with the aluminum frame have decockers.

Revolver Rob's comments about the thumb safeties mirror my experience exactly.

The only experience I have with a CZ75 Compact is with a Compact Shadowline, which has the dual advantage (in my opinion) of no firing pin block and the frame is aluminum alloy.

My pistol has been extensively worked over by CZ Custom and was primarily intended as a carry pistol. But I have found that I can shoot it as well as I can a full size Shadow, and not only does the lighter weight makes it an excellent carry pistol, I don't feel like I am giving up much shooting it in IDPA matches.

Loaded with 14+1 rounds of 124 gr. JHP, it weighs less than a 1/2 more than a Dan Wesson alloy frame Guardian in caliber .45 loaded with 230 gr. JHP cartridges.

Not so certain I would be so enamored with a steel frame Compact, due to the added weight, but I really like the Shadowline and carry it frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    For cocked and locked, have you considered holding out for the DWX Compact?
    Any movement on that front?

Not that I’m aware of.
    David S.

User Tag List