Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should You Talk to the Police After a Self-Defense Incident? (Part I)

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Yeah, let's make false statements to the cops' and tie up EMS on a fake cardiac/stroke episode. I mean, you're the only person in the whole universe, so who else could possibly need EMS for a real cardiac event?
    Pretty fucking stupid response.
    I as well as others involved in critical incidents were routinely offered a quick med check to make sure everything was okay.

It could be declined but if the officer requested it, could not be refused.

After having been put in an interview room and preparing to answer questions to major crimes/homicide investigators I could see how someone might vapor lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    What is a good way to shut up at that point? This is not a criticism, but a request on the best way to do that?
    Invoking your right to counsel is an off-switch to the conversation, or you can verbally invoke your right to remain silent. I think the first one is slightly more... responsible-seeming?... than the second, having been in the next room during a few interviews where self defense was claimed.

Without giving legal advice, my basic thought is to act like a victim (because you are) without trying to play lawyer for yourself and without vomiting every last little thing out. I think Ayoob is mostly correct on his advice.

Edit: my experience here has been, the shooter is going to be handcuffed in the back of a police car, they're gonna sit there for a while while the detectives do their thing with the scene, they'll eventually be transported to the station for an interview, and the detectives will then attempt to question after having had the benefit of speaking with others involved. While patrol is going to have body/dash cameras running, in my experience apart from a very basic "what happened," they are not going to be doing any detailed questioning. Your jurisdiction may vary.
    Last edited by ssb; 06-10-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Body and dash cams are running full blast at those scenes.

I wouldn't say a thing other than the raw basics.

The gist of falsely claiming it's "the big one" is vastly different than accepting the med check that will most likely be offered on scene.
    I've seen the advice of falsely claiming to be having a heart attack, even to the extent of purposely losing control of bladder/bowels in order to give yourself an exit from the initial interview spouted far and wide on the vast network of knowledge, ie, the internet.

Yes, give the cops a reason to turn your world upside down when you get hemmed up in a lie. Remember, your attorney works by billable hours, so help put his kids through Yale by giving him plenty of work trying to undo the damage a false statement is going to cause.

And yes, tie up EMS on a bullshit complaint, cause there's so many of them just sitting around with nothing to do.

This may be in GD, but it's still stupid advice. And it's searchable. With you attached to it.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

The gist of falsely claiming it's "the big one" is vastly different than accepting the med check that will most likely be offered on scene.
    I've seen the advice of falsely claiming to be having a heart attack, even to the extent of purposely losing control of bladder/bowels in order to give yourself an exit from the initial interview spouted far and wide on the vast network of knowledge, ie, the internet.

Yes, give the cops a reason to turn your world upside down when you get hemmed up in a lie. Remember, your attorney works by billable hours, so help put his kids through Yale by giving him plenty of work trying to undo the damage a false statement is going to cause.

And yes, tie up EMS on a bullshit complaint, cause there's so many of them just sitting around with nothing to do.

This may be in GD, but it's still stupid advice. And it's searchable. With you attached to it.
    Not just cops... That lie you told on scene? Guess what I can use to impeach your testimony with later (and in a self-defense case, you almost always have to testify as a practical matter).

Sigh...

You may have missed this:

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Take a breather, pal, everything's okay -- no one's actually suggesting this is the thing to do; it was a lighthearted aside in a thread that already has some very good advice.
    You may also haven't considered you're not the only one who's aware of the same bad internet advice and had been satirizing it with a classic Fred Sanford clip...

Back on subject...

Anyone wanting to watch a prime -- if long -- example of how not to handle the post-shoot interview, here's Florida man Michael Drejka's (parking lot shooter) three-parter with detectives:

Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Site Supporter
    I know it’s an older show, but I’ve been watching The First 48 reruns on tv lately. The most interesting part of the show to me is the interaction of detectives with murder suspects during interrogations. The cops who are good are really good, and it’s amazing how long people will sit and talk to cops without a lawyer, often to the point of admitting to a murder without ever asking for council.

I think it’s worth a watch for lay folks like myself to get a glimpse of what’s going on and what happens in those situations.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I know it’s an older show, but I’ve been watching The First 48 reruns on tv lately. The most interesting part of the show to me is the interaction of detectives with murder suspects during interrogations. The cops who are good are really good, and it’s amazing how long people will sit and talk to cops without a lawyer, often to the point of admitting to a murder without ever asking for council.

I think it’s worth a watch for lay folks like myself to get a glimpse of what’s going on and what happens in those situations.
    Even shit bags want to justify their actions and often feel they have a really good reason for doing what they did. You can often hook them with that. Sgt H used to tease me I was the only guy he knew who got confessions by threatening to not interview people. I presented it as going them a favor to let them talk to me. If you don't want to give your side of the story, I don't mind. You can just let everybody else talk for you. Think about the personality type that's willing to kill over what's often petty shit and deprive them of the agency of speaking for themselves? It often works. If not, I could always go back in and give them "a second chance".

The guys who impress me the most often had a sex crimes background. Usually some of the best interviewers in the game.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Even shit bags want to justify their actions and often feel they have a really good reason for doing what they did. You can often hook them with that. Sgt H used to tease me I was the only guy he knew who got confessions by threatening to not interview people. I presented it as going them a favor to let them talk to me. If you don't want to give your side of the story, I don't mind. You can just let everybody else talk for you. Think about the personality type that's willing to kill over what's often petty shit and deprive them of the agency of speaking for themselves? It often works. If not, I could always go back in and give them "a second chance".

The guys who impress me the most often had a sex crimes background. Usually some of the best interviewers in the game.
    Sex Crimes is one of the places I’ve NEVER had any interest in working but the people who do are usually outstanding Detectives and interviewers.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Yeah, let's make false statements to the cops' and tie up EMS on a fake cardiac/stroke episode. I mean, you're the only person in the whole universe, so who else could possibly need EMS for a real cardiac event?
    Pretty fucking stupid response.
    People fake medical issues when detained by the police?

I really need to get better at putting in sarcasm tags

What someone recommended back on page 1 is basically a public safety statement that a cop would give - at least locally.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 06-10-2020 at 09:37 PM.

User Tag List