Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting with gloves.

No, you don't want to do that if you can avoid it--I've definitely had a problem with cut gloves...twice.

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    No, you don't want to do that if you can avoid it--I've definitely had a problem with cut gloves...twice.
    Genuinely curious about the why of this.

Also, glad I love in a climate zone where gloves aren't necessary.

I had fairly good experiences with Hatch Operator Gloves. Of course, I donīt shoot very often with the gloves, but at a rifle class with an AK 47, gloves are mandatory.
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

At a Pat Rogers carbine class held at a nearby LE agency, we were shooting quite a bit; as I went to take the safety off of my AR15, the edge of the cut thumb on my glove wedged itself under the safety lever and prevented the safety from rotating into the off position, leaving me with a dead carbine and a "threat" in front of me. So I stopped using gloves with cut thumb tips.

Second time I had a problem with cut gloves was 2 years later at a Magpul Dynamics class--I thought I had learned my lesson, so no cut thumbs or other fingers on the gloves except a single cut trigger finger tip; unfortunately, this also eventually caused a problem. We were shooting around vehicles in some strange positions; after firing a few shots I began to move my trigger finger off the trigger, but the gun went "bang" when I did not expect it to. The cut edge of the glove trigger finger had wrapped up around the trigger and as I pulled my hand away, the trigger was activated resulting in an ND--fortunately it was pointed in a safe direction, so no harm, no foul.

As a result of these two experiences, I now only wear intact gloves without any fingertip cuts. The old style thin Nomex gloves are outstanding, leather batting gloves and horseback riding gloves also work well if flame resistance is not necessary.

Shooting with gloves is not primarily about cold temperatures--they protect hands from cuts, abrasions, and heat--think how warm metal gets when working in areas of the world with ambient afternoon summer temperatures are in the 100-130 degree range...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The old style thin Nomex gloves are outstanding, leather batting gloves and horseback riding gloves also work well if flame resistance is not necessary.
    Yeah, if you don't lust after the latest "approved" fashion accessory, batting and golf gloves can work really well in this role. Goatskin if you can find it.

I discovered leather batting gloves about 20 years ago and have sworn by them ever since for shooting. Tight fit, excellent feel, comfortable and breatheable.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

What JV said........

There have been literally hundreds of type of shooting and tactical gloves developed over the last several years. Many are "Official Issue" to our troops on the ground. Many have been developed by some heavy hitters in the shooting world. Many of them suck.

A good pair of snug fitting, breathable gloves that provide tactile dexterity are going to be helpful, and will not impede nearly as much as the Blackhawks, or the Oakley, or whatever HSLD brand is making.

I personlly like light weight, thin gloves, that fit very snug. Baseball and Golf gloves fall into that category, and I expect to replace my gloves every few serious uses so I keep the ones I know I like stocked up in advance. Mechanix made a pair that was about the perfect glove. Cheap enough it was semi-disposable, but fit like nothing else out there.......but of course, they stopped making it.

I shoot gloves off. I train gloves on. My hand touches my daily concealed carry pistol with bare hands. That is the place I will be in when I will need to use. Picking up an AR or AK, or other long gun, I will have them in gloved hands, as I was training to use these weapons with gloves as well.

Gloves are funky though. Find a pair you like, then cant find them again. Find a pair you kind of like, but wish they would done "XYZ".
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Gloves are funky though. Find a pair you like, then cant find them again. Find a pair you kind of like, but wish they would done "XYZ".
    Agree.

I originally found a pair of some motorcross gloves, made by camelbak. They were tits. I have only found one pair of them any where.

Then I went to aviator gloves. They worked. not ideal, but they worked.

Mechanix gloves were next. If I found my size they were very nice and cheap which is cool. Then I was told I couldnt wear them any more gayyyyyy

So then I tried oaklies. They were expensive and wore out kinda fast. But I looked cool.

Then I found another set of camelbak gloves. They are a light grey color. Cheap, work pretty well but talk about sticking out in the woods with bright hands.

So now I am back to just cheap aviators, or camelbak gloves for civillian side stuff.

Like Sean, when I shoot a pistol (concealed carry) I dont wear gloves. When I am training rifle, or just in the tree line. I wear gloves.

Also, as for cutting off fingers. I only cut them off once they have worn through and are just a flap. That is if I cant get a new pair.

PJ

ETA: I knew a guy who was using some sort of UA baseball or football gloves. He touched some open flame when we were doing something stupid. The gloves almost dissapeared off his hands and left some nasty burns. If you play with fire make sure your gloves can take it.
    Last edited by vmi-mo; 03-17-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Beyond dexterity, the flame resistance of nomex gloves is a major benefit to aviators, and surely is to shooters?

User Tag List