Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting with gloves.

I've tried a half dozen quality types of shooting gloves. I've found nothing any better than warm weather nomex aviator gloves. But all of them worked fine for rifle. For pistol, I shot well with them. But without them, I always shoot much better. I hate gloves for pistol shooting.

I'm currently running Oakley's SI assault glove which are comfortable for me. As I read between the lines I think comfort is an important factor, along with lots of practice. To add to this discussion, I offer if you wear gloves while carrying in terms of concealed/duty carry, you have to practice shooting with the gloves. When violence comes to you it's going to be sudden and unexpected.

In terms of sport shooting, the gloves should make you look cool!

Gosh, do I hate it when you actually use a timer. I decided to put my draw to a first shot, with and without my nomex flight gloves, on the PACT timer this morning. Despite my earlier pronouncement that gloves weren't a problem, the flight gloves consistently added .1-.2 to my first shot time. I shoot a lot with flight gloves, so familiarity isn't the issue -- but the gloves seem to slow me down in acquiring my initial grip. Others timed this?

I use a pair of Nike weight lifting gloves. I misplaced my regular shooting gloves and grabbed these out of my workout bag I had in the car. They have the fingers cut off and palms are well padded. They worked really well, except I find that it effects the position of my finger on the trigger. Its not a big deal with my P30 and P232, but it effects my USP40. I have a Hogue slip grip on the USP and I think the integral palm swell may be the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    I had fairly good experiences with Hatch Operator Gloves. Of course, I donīt shoot very often with the gloves, but at a rifle class with an AK 47, gloves are mandatory.

I have shot for years with these gloves, long gun and handgun. I don these gloves everytime I anticipate things going south. As such, I train 80-90% of the time with the gloves on. If deploying a weapon is a forethought (on duty of course), the gloves go on.

For me, they are an essential piece of gear that is replaced every 8-12 months. YMMV.

protecting hands from recoil shock

Any recommendations on the best glove for absorbing some recoil shock to the hands? I'm guessing that there is a trade off between more padding and loss of grip control. I'm shooting a Glock 19 with 115 gr ball ammo most of the time. Also wondering if any of the gloves recommended here might be worn over these thin gloves, which are good for circulation but pick up dirt way to fast to be worn while shooting. Or am I kidding myself and should start shopping for a .380? Maybe get the 25-round mags for my AA kit?

The long story....

I have been dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) for about 12 years. Switching from a mouse to a track ball, plus wearing a glove with a splint got me out of the first major flare up, and unless I forget to include some stretching and breaks on 14 hour days at the keyboard, I'm generally not bothered by it too much.

About three years ago I started having other pains in both hands. My internist said it was beginning osteoarthritis. The pains came and went, and not that big of a deal for the most part.

I took up pistol shooting in earnest (100 - 300 rounds, 2-3 times per week) this year, and am now having trouble with frequent numbness, loss of sensation and pain in both hands but mainly my strong (right) hand, as well as up my arms and sometimes elbows. I suspected pinched nerve(s) and saw a chiropractor for the first time last week. After only one manipulation, the numbness in the morning is not as severe, so I have hopes that I'm moving in the right direction with chiropractic therapy.

Repetitive motion injury can be caused by a wide variety of activities (keyboarding, hammering nails, playing guitar, shooting guns). Driving nails in cold weather while building a wood shed is what sent me over the edge with CTS in 1999. The combination of repetition with impact was very painful, but I kept pushing to get the project finished. Took about 9 months to get back to "normal", i.e. didn't have to wear splinted gloves anymore. Now I have concerns that pounding my wrists with 200-900 recoils from a 9mm every week might be taking a toll on me. I don't have any pain specifically while shooting, and it doesn't seem to get much worse after shooting like it does after keyboarding too much without a break.

Sucks to grow old, but better than not being around to get old.
    "You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." -- Jeff Cooper, in "Principles Of Personal Defense"

Lee,

The best gloves you're going to find for recoil comfort are gel (or gel like) cycling gloves made by one of the big cycling companies (Specialized, Trek, etc.). They're offered in both short and long finger versions, have padding right where you want it, still offer lots of dexterity and can be had in various padding amounts. Any bicycle shop should be able to help you out. Avoid the cheaper walmart junk that tends to use third rate materials.

None of them offer flame resistance but are very comfortable.

We are issued these and I really like them. They put oakleys to shame. I'm stockpiling pairs from friends with less active jobs and dont want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Lee,

The best gloves you're going to find for recoil comfort are gel (or gel like) cycling gloves made by one of the big cycling companies (Specialized, Trek, etc.). They're offered in both short and long finger versions, have padding right where you want it, still offer lots of dexterity and can be had in various padding amounts. Any bicycle shop should be able to help you out. Avoid the cheaper walmart junk that tends to use third rate materials.

None of them offer flame resistance but are very comfortable.
    There is a helpful bicycle shop I frequent that can help with this idea, which I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
    We are issued these and I really like them. They put oakleys to shame. I'm stockpiling pairs from friends with less active jobs and dont want them.
    They look nice. Do you know the make and model?

Thanks,

Lee
    "You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." -- Jeff Cooper, in "Principles Of Personal Defense"

You also might look at industrial/safety suppliers for impact- or vibration-reducing gloves.

http://www.labsafety.com/search/glov...tion%2Bimpact/

https://www.ironclad.com/products/pr...d272dac2e6119c

User Tag List