Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you drop it, let it fall

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    We also instruct to step on it to secure it. We also step on evidence guns on shooting scenes to secure it whilst covering each other or downed victims/suspects.

Crime scene goes back and forth on unloading it for safety or leaving it hot so that they can do their thing with it. None of them have ever whined about the gun being stomped on to secure it.

I have a shooting clinic I'm teaching this weekend so this is a good reminder for me to cover this during the safety briefing.
    We DNA swab guns so they probably wouldn't want us stepping on them if they were evidence. If enough manpower isn't available we'll mark where the gun was and then glove up, secure it in a disposable box, and lock it in a trunk until whoever is going to process the scene (evidence tech, gun liaison, or crime lab depending on crime) arrives.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We DNA swab guns so they probably wouldn't want us stepping on them if they were evidence. If enough manpower isn't available we'll mark where the gun was and then glove up, secure it in a disposable box, and lock it in a trunk until whoever is going to process the scene (evidence tech, gun liaison, or crime lab depending on crime) arrives.
    Yeah, we jump off of it once we get everyone cuffed or loaded on stretchers.

This if for those first few seconds when taking the room or parking lot. I got small traffic cones that once everything is safe for me and mine, we start doing the crime scene protocol.

And even then, they usually only whine about "you didn't make the inner perimeter large enough" and other things like that.

Plus, my zone doesn't exactly have willing to prosecute victims......so rarely do they go to GJ...much less than a trial.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I know most of the folks here are experienced gun handlers and this is old news to the majority of you, but for our newbies and as a reminder to everyone: if you drop your pistol let it fall. Almost every modern gun (and modern in this context goes back to before most of us were alive) is drop safe. What's not safe is catching it and your finger accidentally goes in the trigger guard, you close your fingers to grab, and pull the trigger. Make the conscious decision now to let it fall so you don't react instinctively.

The catalyst for this reminder is an older gun owner who managed to shoot through their own exterior wall and into the next door neighbor's bathroom. Don't be that guy or gal.
    https://cfjctoday.com/2017/06/12/man...tion-accident/
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/federal-a...tional-airport
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    Good advice. Also let a dropped knife fall.

I've heard this from chefs and Kali instructors:

A falling knife has no handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    Good advice. Also let a dropped knife fall.
    Also good advice and get your feet out of the way too..

During USPSA RO Training a fellow trainee attempted to reholster his 1911. He missed. I was scoring so I was very close and luckily we all watched it fall to the ground, although the shooter initially made a move to grab it but then pulled back.

The instructor, Troy McManus, used it as a teaching point. It was a good lesson to learn and I cannot remember really being taught that at the few classes I've attended.

Site Supporter
    My former shooting partner and long time investigator dropped a gun while seated in his truck. He knew better, but still made a grab for it.

He had a pretty new hole through the floorboard of his truck, and through his right calf. He recognized exactly how lucky he was getting off with a limp, instead of a casket.

Let it fall.

This is where USPSA, IPSC etc. rules (dropped gun = DQ) may impart some bad ideas.

In competition we don't want people dropping their handgun, picking it up and continuing, and the DQ is an aspect of "unsafe gun handling" which includes dropping your handgun.

What they don't emphasize enough is that trying to catch your falling handgun is _really_ unsafe gun handling, nobody wants the DQ but better that than what could happen on a bad catch.

I do not recall the details but a few years ago an experienced IPSC competitor in Canada killed himself trying to catch his gun.

Remember former New York Giant Plaxico Burris.

Ex-receiver Plaxico Burress finally explains how he shot himself in the leg at a club

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/e...leg-at-a-club/

That's a great reminder. I'd also remind people not to step on it to make a point with students it's safe if you end up stepping on it like the instructor from Tactical Response a few years ago who launched a round into someone's truck tired demonstrating how nothing will get in the trigger once it hits the ground. Somehow I think they dropped that part from their training agenda.
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

User Tag List