Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you drop it, let it fall

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

If you drop it, let it fall

I know most of the folks here are experienced gun handlers and this is old news to the majority of you, but for our newbies and as a reminder to everyone: if you drop your pistol let it fall. Almost every modern gun (and modern in this context goes back to before most of us were alive) is drop safe. What's not safe is catching it and your finger accidentally goes in the trigger guard, you close your fingers to grab, and pull the trigger. Make the conscious decision now to let it fall so you don't react instinctively.

The catalyst for this reminder is an older gun owner who managed to shoot through their own exterior wall and into the next door neighbor's bathroom. Don't be that guy or gal.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I try to remember telling new shooters this along with what to do if brass gets in your clothes. An IPSC competitor a while back was actually killed trying to catch his dropped gun at a match. Terribly sad but a grim reminder

Good advice. Also let a dropped knife fall.

Good reminders.

That’s a new piece of advice to me. I’m glad I visited this forum today! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I know most of the folks here are experienced gun handlers and this is old news to the majority of you, but for our newbies and as a reminder to everyone: if you drop your pistol let it fall. Almost every modern gun (and modern in this context goes back to before most of us were alive) is drop safe. What's not safe is catching it and your finger accidentally goes in the trigger guard, you close your fingers to grab, and pull the trigger. Make the conscious decision now to let it fall so you don't react instinctively.

The catalyst for this reminder is an older gun owner who managed to shoot through their own exterior wall and into the next door neighbor's bathroom. Don't be that guy or gal.

Site Supporter
    Truth.

Thanks!

Another thing to remind myself of regularly, and to put in my "script" with newbs.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Good timing for the reminder. I was taught to let it fall and then quickly step on it. This hopefully prevents Someone else picking it up and allows you to keep your eyes up when you kneel down to pick it up.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Good timing for the reminder. I was taught to let it fall and then quickly step on it. This hopefully prevents Someone else picking it up and allows you to keep your eyes up when you kneel down to pick it up.
    I've never considered that, but it makes sense. Remember the guy (maybe some federal LEO?) who did a back flip on the dance floor, dropped his gun, and shot somebody when he picked it up. Instead of doing a "fast snatch" if he'd stepped on it instead of snatching it in haste and surprise I bet he'd not have discharged it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

We also instruct to step on it to secure it. We also step on evidence guns on shooting scenes to secure it whilst covering each other or downed victims/suspects.

Crime scene goes back and forth on unloading it for safety or leaving it hot so that they can do their thing with it. None of them have ever whined about the gun being stomped on to secure it.

I have a shooting clinic I'm teaching this weekend so this is a good reminder for me to cover this during the safety briefing.

User Tag List