Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Poli-Sci: American Civil War: Slavery or States Rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia View Post
    Like I said, it is insanity to think 500 thousand men died to because of Slavery and obvious a serious lack of knowledge about the Civil War which is sad.
    And to compare Virginians to Germany is repulsive. Especially for Civil war Generals. LEE NEVER FOUGHT to preserve Slavery. Ironically it was Lincoln HIMSELF that wanted LEE to head the UNION ARMY!
    LEE turned him down and said he could not go against his family, friends or the State of Virginia which was his homeland. HE NEVER ONCE SAID HE WOULD NOT BECAUSE HE LOVED SLAVERY. What nonsense.

It really appears so many Americans were asleep during American History classes. There are many great books available today that go into great detail about the causes of the Civil war from before the beginning to the battles the people and the slaves. How about doing some actual learning instead of just listening to CNN.

For instance after the Civil War LeeIn August of 1865,r, Lee was invited to serve as president of Washington College (now Washington and Lee University), where he and his family are buried. Since his death at age 63 on October 12, 1870, following a stroke, he has retained a place of distinction in most Southern states. He did not get tired for crimes like the German Nazi's at Nuremberg for God sake.
    He should have been. He took blacks from Pennsylvania and took them to south to be slaves during his campaign the war. The south refused to allow black Union troops to be part of prisoner exchanges, and they were enslaved or executed.

He often beat his own escaped slaves, and had salt water poured on the wounds.

Not a hero. The Lost Cause of the South was sold to the north after white supremacy regained power. The monuments went up to remind blacks not to do anything stupid after terrorism and other violence ended the idea of any black participation in government.

If the Civil War wasn't fought for white supremacy, why does every Confederate constitution have a statement about the superiority of whites over blacks in the first paragraph? Why did the guy who was promoting the "Stars and Bars" say it represented white superiority from the very beginning?

The "it wasn't about slavery" narrative is what I got in middle school history. It's utter bullshit. The plantation owners knew if new states were "free," their way of life was on the way out.

As a lovely coda, the retaking of the south, and the Jim Crow system was the exact model the Nazis used to formulate their answer to "The Jewish Question." Many Nazis professed public admiration of how the US dealt with it's race problems, and called for similar laws. They just carried it further.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...al-lee/529038/

https://billmoyers.com/story/hitler-...nazi-race-law/
    Last edited by Baldanders; 06-09-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    He should have been. He took blacks from Pennsylvania and took them to south to be slaves during his campaign the war. The south refused to allow black Union troops to be part of prisoner exchanges, and they were enslaved or executed.

He often beat his own escaped slaves, and had salt water poured on the wounds.

Not a hero. The Lost Cause of the South was sold to the north after white supremacy regained power. The monuments went up to remind blacks not to do anything stupid after terrorism and other violence ended the idea of any black participation in government.

If the Civil War wasn't fought for white supremacy, why does every Confederate constitution have a statement about the superiority of whites over blacks in the first paragraph? Why did the guy who was promoting the "Stars and Bars" say it represented white superiority from the very beginning?

The "it wasn't about slavery" narrative is what I got in middle school history. It's utter bullshit. The plantation owners knew if new states were "free," their way of life was on the way out.

As a lovely coda, the retaking of the south, and the Jim Crow system was the exact model the Nazis used to formulate their answer to "The Jewish Question." Many Nazis professed public admiration of how the US dealt with it's race problems, and called for similar laws. They just carried it further.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...al-lee/529038/

https://billmoyers.com/story/hitler-...nazi-race-law/

Lol, man what total crap. Not even worth a honest discussion. Tell me what was the last book you read on the Civil war. Other than some garbage from the "Atlantic". Quoting that rag tells me a whole lot of your lack of knowledge about the Civil.
    this is exactly the kind of Crap now taught in our Schools. My brother Teaches, Major in American History. The stories he tells me of how the school system is proposely butchering history to serve the Liberal agenda. Nonsense like you just posted. I have asked him to teach the truth. He say's he can't. He would be fired and he is too close to tenor. Honestly discussing the Civil War with some internet guy that quotes the "Atlantic" is beyond the pale. Sorry my friend. Do not bother me again untill you have at least taken a real class. Please start at the beginning with the export tarriffs and we can go from there.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    No, let’s go here instead. Actual statements from several of the seceding states.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/p...eceding-states

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia View Post
    Lol, man what total crap. Not even worth a honest discussion.
    As someone who didn't write the post you're replying to, I'd like to hear which part of it is crap. Can you identify a false statement in there?

Did Lee take blacks from the North to be slaves during his campaign, and beat his slaves that tried to escape? Yes or no?

Did the Confederates enslave or execute all or nearly all their captured black union soldiers (until the last few months of the war when they were clearly losing)? Yes or no?

Does the Confederate Constitution not mention "negro" slavery? Yes or no?

Did the guy promoting the Confederate flag (I assume we're talking about William Tappan Thompson promoting the flag most people know) say it was about white suppremacy? Yes or no?

Is your IP address in the Ukraine, Russia, or an Eastern European country? Yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Is your IP address in the Ukraine, Russia, or an Eastern European country? Yes or no?
    Dude....

.....I was thinking the same thing.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Poli-Sci: American Civil War: Slavery or States Rights?

Discuss.

Oh, look...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Dude....

It's not like pro-confederacy people are all that rare in shooting circles, but the writing style is not quite right, regardless of content. I hope that's within the rules to suggest in this instance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Dude....

As a southerner I don’t think so. It’s possible, but I’ve seen more of his type than I’d like to admit down here. It’s both part of the reason I’ve stayed and part of what makes me want to say screw it.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List