Thread: Pistol Dry-Fire drill for a small apartment

Pistol Dry-Fire drill for a small apartment

I used to shoot USPSA 2-3 times a month but I got burned out on it and took a break that ended up being almost 3 years long at this point.

I went to the range for the first time in 3 months on sunday because the pandemic shut the range down and my skills are rusty.

Looking for 2-3 dry fire drills I can do for 15-20 minutes a few times a week to get myself to not completely sucking at USPSA again so I can start going to matches again but I live in a small apartment so movement drills are going to be almost impossible. What things can I do with limited space?

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I used to shoot USPSA 2-3 times a month but I got burned out on it and took a break that ended up being almost 3 years long at this point.

I went to the range for the first time in 3 months on sunday because the pandemic shut the range down and my skills are rusty.

Looking for 2-3 dry fire drills I can do for 15-20 minutes a few times a week to get myself to not completely sucking at USPSA again so I can start going to matches again but I live in a small apartment so movement drills are going to be almost impossible. What things can I do with limited space?
    There's a few I do but FAST, 3-2-1, and Dot Torture get used a lot. You may want to skim P-F s companion site to see what you can easily adapt:

http://pistol-training.com/drills

I have been dry firing anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour a day lately, and I think I've averaged 4-5 days per week since the beginning of the year. The key for me has been having frequent live fire and matches to motivate me. I don't necessarily get a huge rush out of dry firing but when I know the match is coming up or when I have something I want to work on based on my live-fire, that helps. The other big thing has been only dry firing for as much as I want to and no more. Absolutely no forcing myself to dry fire, because it's hard to maintain any level of quality when my head is not in the game. Also no rigid schedules like "Draws on Monday, reloads on Tuesday, movement on Wednesday" etc. I try to maintain a balance between staying well-rounded and then focusing on the 2-3 things that I think will help me the most based on matches and live fire practices, but it is a lot more interesting when I keep things free-form and flexible.

Edit:

If I were to only do 2-3 drills I would be doing regular draws, reloads, and target transitions to various size targets.
    Last edited by Eyesquared; 06-09-2020 at 07:13 PM.

The first few drills in refinement and repetition could be done in about 20 minutes by spending 2 minutes on each drill, and maybe cutting out certain 1H shooting drills (e.g. do only SHO in one session, then the WHO ones next session). You'd cover the basics in terms of draws from various start, reloads, some 1H manipulations, and transitions. For the amount of time you'd be putting in you'd get a decent return on skill maintenance.

Same here. (Small Apt)

Lots of good info in Ben Stoeger’s book, including Dry Fire Regimens.

https://www.amazon.com/DryFire-Reloa.../dp/1542880246

First thing I'd do is go to benstoegerproshop and buy about $20-25 of 1/3 scaled dry fire targets - make a good mix of everything and remember the targets are white on the back for no shoot targets.

Then I'd either get a book (steve anderson refinement and repitition or Stoeger dryfire reloaded) or put together some kind of plan/schedule and do it. Just 15 min a day in a 10x12 room with a creative mind and willingness to do the work will take you probably further than you'd think.

You can easily have markers on the ground or furniture in the room as markers and do plenty of movement work. Really you don't need much space to practice the things that matter most - leaving+entering position, reloading out/into position, shooting while taking steps, shooting while leaning, etc.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

User Tag List