Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta APX Went Kaboom

Beretta APX Went Kaboom

Hi there,
    I am a new member, not new to guns but somewhat new to shooting guns.
    I really like this full size Beretta APX and shortly after I bought it, I went to the local range and after about 20 rounds something hit me in the hand and I looked at the side of the pistol and the extractor was gone.

Upon close inspection I noticed that the round wasn't supported fully in the chamber.
    I contacted Beretta and they fixed the pistol but the bullet is still not supported.
    At this point I am reluctant to shoot it but not sure I want to sell it to someone who might face the same issue with the pistol.

My question is this: does it look normal to have the case of a round stick up like an extra 1 mm?

PS I need to figure out how to attach pictures from my computer.

Thank you,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by militarytorch View Post
    Hi there,
    I really like this full size Beretta APX and shortly after I bought it, I went to the local range and after about 20 rounds something hit me in the hand and I looked at the side of the pistol and the extractor was gone.

Upon close inspection I noticed that the round wasn't supported fully in the chamber.
    I contacted Beretta and they fixed the pistol but the bullet is still not supported.
    At this point I am reluctant to shoot it but not sure I want to sell it to someone who might face the same issue with the pistol.

My question is this: does it look normal to have the case of a round stick up like an extra 1 mm?

Thank you,
    Steve
    Welcome.
    First, a couple of questions.
    -What ammo were you shooting?
    -Did the case eject, or was the exploded case still stuck in the chamber?
    -Did you hear any unusual noises during that round?

As for the photos, in the reply box, find the "B I U" line, go right about 14 icons for the one that looks like a tiny photo of a tree. Click that, and a box will come up. Select the "From Computer" tab, and click "Brose". Click on the photo you want to upload. Then, click the "Upload photo" text once. It may take a second.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Hi there,

Thank you,
    Steve
    Many pistols do not have fully supported chambers.

However, the incident you described, like most kabooms, sounds like an ammunition issue, rather than a gun issue.

What ammunition were you shooting ?

Factory ammunition ? Commercial reloads? Your own reloads ?

Details such as brand and bullet weight?

Thank you.

-What ammo were you shooting? Luger 9MM FC
    -Did the case eject, or was the exploded case still stuck in the chamber? stuck in the chamber
    -Did you hear any unusual noises during that round? Nothing unusual as far as noises.

It was a commercial reload ammo.

Pictures of Glock 19 barrel for comparison.

Thanks again,
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by militarytorch; 06-09-2020 at 07:23 PM.

Another member had the following questions.

Do I understand you correctly . . . the extractor of your pistol completely detached itself from said pistol while shooting it?

Yes, it flew off with a small pin (I couldn't find it)

Besides fixing the gun, what did Beretta say about the failure?

Nothing

Were you shooting factory ammo, or hand loads?

Commercial reloads

Was there any other damage other than "the extractor was gone"?

Just a small chip on the extractor cutout in the slide

Does the pistol go into battery as it should?

Everything seems to function ok

Is an "assist" like a push on the slide required?

No

When you state that the "bullet is not fully supported", do you mean the base of the cartridge is not fully supported?

That can be seen in the pictures attached above

Have you tried the "plunk" test with a cartridge dropped into the barrel of the pistol with the barrel removed from the pistol?

Yes

Have you tried various brands of ammo with different bullet profiles?

Yes but still looks like the cartridge sits about a 1 mm too high and dummy round sits like 4 mm

Do the fired cases exhibit any unusual deformity or bulge at the base of the case?

Didn't check for that

Your probably best course of action is to contact Beretta directly.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Your probably best course of action is to contact Beretta directly.
    Thank you but in your opinion does the bullet "sit" too high?

Thank you but in your opinion does the bullet "sit" too high?
    I'll be honest and say I have no idea- which is why I'm recommending contacting Beretta direct. They can tell you if it is or not, AND fix your gun.
    What do you have to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'll be honest and say I have no idea- which is why I'm recommending contacting Beretta direct. They can tell you if it is or not, AND fix your gun.
    What do you have to lose?
    Sure, I will contact them when they are actually open. Because of coronavirus they were closed and had me send the gun to Midwest Gun Works for repairs.
    MGW fixed the gun by replacing the extractor, testing for headspace, test fired it and shipped it back.

I will update this thread after I hear from them.

Thank you for your help.
    Steve

Sure, I will contact them when they are actually open. Because of coronavirus they were closed and had me send the gun to Midwest Gun Works for repairs.
    MGW fixed the gun by replace the extractor, testing for headspace, test fired it and shipped it back.

I will update this thread after I hear from them.

Thank you for your help.
    Steve
    If they officially tested the headspace, then it's likely fine.

User Tag List