Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beretta APX Went Kaboom

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by militarytorch View Post

Were you shooting factory ammo, or hand loads?

Commercial reloads
    THIS. There are about three commercial reloading enterprises in the US that I would trust to provide reloaded ammo and I'd bet yours isn't it. Unless they have a robust QC/QA program that includes daily pressure testing they are not to be considered as an ammo source. Buy SAAMI spec factory ammo and stay out of these messes. Your story is not the first one I've seen or heard of using "commercial reloads" that gave an overpressure event. Your gun didn't blow apart and that's fortunate. Please don't shoot that stuff anymore.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    THIS. There are about three commercial reloading enterprises in the US that I would trust to provide reloaded ammo and I'd bet yours isn't it. Unless they have a robust QC/QA program that includes daily pressure testing they are not to be considered as an ammo source. Buy SAAMI spec factory ammo and stay out of these messes. Your story is not the first one I've seen or heard of using "commercial reloads" that gave an overpressure event. Your gun didn't blow apart and that's fortunate. Please don't shoot that stuff anymore.
    I might add that I own 3 APX pistols. One full-size FDE, one Centorion Combat, and one Compact. They all were purchased from different online venders, at different times, and they were located in different parts of the country. With that said, I've had zero issues with my examples which I have fired well over 2k rounds out of using various factory ammo.

Via YouTube, the BerettaForum.com, GlockTalk, Defensive Carry, etc, etc online forums, I've NEVER heard of anyone having a kaboom...

Chalk it up to a lesson learned. It's a $330 gun. If Beretta doesn't warranty it, sell off the parts and buy another...

After rereading the OP, it doesn't sound like he had a kaboom at all. He assumed it was a kaboom by self diagnosing that the chamber wasn't fully supported. Then based on the OP's assumption and admission that he was using reloads, everyone else went down the path that a kaboom actually happened... I seen pictures of kabooms before and a lot more damaged happened other than just the extractor falling out.. OP had a kaboom and there was ZERO real damage other than an extractor falling out?

OP, did you ever disable the slide for cleaning, to install a lighter striker spring, etc? The extractor is held in place by spring pressure. If the slide wasn't assembled correctly and/or has missing or out of spec parts, that also could have be the reason behind why the extractor and other parts behind the extractor fell out...

Here are pictures of real kabooms...
    Last edited by TeflonDon; 06-16-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    After rereading the OP, it doesn't sound like he had a kaboom at all. He assumed it was a kaboom by self diagnosing that the chamber wasn't fully supported. Then based on the OP's assumption and admission that he was using reloads, everyone else went down the path that a kaboom actually happened... I seen pictures of kabooms before and a lot more damaged happened other than just the extractor falling out.. OP had a kaboom and there was ZERO real damage other than an extractor falling out?

OP, did you ever disable the slide for cleaning, to install a lighter striker spring, etc? The extractor is held in place by spring pressure. If the slide wasn't assembled correctly and/or has missing or out of spec parts, that also could have be the reason behind why the extractor and other parts behind the extractor fell out...

Here are pictures of real kabooms...
    Teflon,

I'd say that the "Kaboom" term is a bit generic. I've seen them range from seeing extractors blown off to magazines blown out of the gun to seeing both magazines AND extractors blown off the gun all the way to seeing the barrel, slide and frame destroyed. Guess it's a bit misleading, but I'd say this one was a kaboom from an overpressure round of ammo.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Teflon,

I'd say that the "Kaboom" term is a bit generic. I've seen them range from seeing extractors blown off to magazines blown out of the gun to seeing both magazines AND extractors blown off the gun all the way to seeing the barrel, slide and frame destroyed. Guess it's a bit misleading, but I'd say this one was a kaboom from an overpressure round of ammo.
    There are two other reports that I know of where the exact same thing happened.... The guy in this video and one person who commented in the comment section both had an experience EXACTLY like the OP.

I believe there's a lot of exaggeration and hearsay in his video, but it's the same incident. I'm on every major firearm forum and watch just about every YouTube video there is on the APX before I purchased mine, and I believe the OP is only the third person I heard this happened to. The guy in the video has prior videos of him dissembling his APX which is why I asked the OP if he did the same.

[EDIT] Wayne, I believe you're absolutely right. I had to look up and refresh my memory on a thread I made about this over on BerettaForum, and another member also stated that this was probably due to an over pressured round. I stand corrected. I do know I own 3 of these pistols, and only used factory ammo. I never had this issue, so it might just be the ammo.

https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=143024
    Last edited by TeflonDon; 06-16-2020 at 12:03 PM.

User Tag List