Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey folks, can I get an opinion on this?

Hey folks, can I get an opinion on this?

The star trib in mnpls published this story:

https://www.startribune.com/officers...est/571105692/

It’s been confirmed that the orders came from a state-run command center, and it was MN highway and Anoka sheriff troops doing the slashing.

Anyone able to explain reasons why? Thanks in advance.

Well, marking a tire with chalk for parking enforcement is a violation of the 4th Amendment: https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/71624...s-constitution

I would think slashing tires absent a valid need to detain a person in the vehicle would be...problematic.

Honestly, as a cop I have had a lot of “WTF are they doing?” moments lately.

Site Supporter
    That "mob mentality" thing works both ways.

Dave
    Retired...and getting tireder by the minute.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I can't think of a reason with just the information provided. I also can't think of any outside factors that might not be mentioned where I'd think it was a good idea or legally defensible. I could be missing something, I suppose.. I can sort of see exigent circumstances if the cars can't be towed and do need to be disabled, but I don't see probable cause that this is the case.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

So far, that’s sorta what I thought, but I figured I’d best ask around. Thanks, guys.

Site Supporter
    Communication is usually the first casualty of crisis. I wonder if an order from someone in the State Patrol chain of command was misunderstood. I can understand slashing the tires of cars specifically linked to violence, but this seems excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can't think of a reason with just the information provided. I also can't think of any outside factors that might not be mentioned where I'd think it was a good idea or legally defensible.
    Same here. They didn't even know if the owners were rioters, employees, unfortunate bastards who parked there because they car pool.

If there was a legal circumstance, they could have mitigated the damage by just cutting the valve stems instead of the tires.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I personally would have absolutely no problem bashing in the skulls of a few antifa thugs at the point we are at right now.

That said, when a guy puts on the badge, personal feelings/prejudices, etc get put aside and one becomes neutral.

That is what makes one a professional.

To use a belt fed machine gunner's terms, you stay between your lanes.

You have left and right lateral limits of the law on one side, and your policy and procedure on the other. Stay between those.

I would require some pretty crystal clear clarification/justification to damage a persons property.

I have seen too many times when chains of command have a tendency to say " That is not what I said" or "That was a misunderstanding/miscommunication" and hang troops/individuals out to dry.

Absent a clearly lawful reason (and well documented) it is simply not going to happen, and they can write me up later.
    Last edited by Lost River; 06-10-2020 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo

I drove into town and was thinking about this more, and had to comment again.

If these were actually reporters and protesters cars and not manufactured outrage, I have serious problems with this.

I personally have put caltrops/spike strips under serious bad guys tires in anticipation of warrant service's going bad. Unforeseen things tend to happen if you kick enough doors. However I did not damage property preemptively. I never had the bad guys get to their cars and have a chase when using that method, but it was a safety measure to prevent a high speed chase/rolling gunfight, etc. Those things can have terrible consequences for the general public, so safety measures were taken.

In the above case, if it is actually true, I can see no justification outside of preventing the escape of known criminals that pose a significant safety risk due to flight.

Being ordered to do so would result in a hard no from this guy, and I would sure as hell be separating myself from anyone who would step across that line.

Again, I appreciate the input from known and trusted sources, since I’m no LEO.

One of the guys who came back to his ride to find all 4 tires slashed was a star trib reporter. That’s late-night sci-fi shit, right there: make it back through the riots and fires to your car at 2am, only to find all 4 tires flat.

#pre1999hondasbethebestcarstoboostinemergency

User Tag List