Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 20 Gauge Coach Gun

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    If you didn’t use the luggage style case, you’d need to put that in a Gucci backpack of some kind...

Years back, I was into bird hunting and English double guns. This was right after all the heavy restrictions came down in the U.K. There were deals to be had, and even bringing them stateside was fairly simple. I’m not talking bespoke Holland and Holland here, but rather gorgeous little straight stocked bird guns chambered in 12ga 2 1/2“ or 2 3/4”. Most of these were made by the small, cottage industry English ‘smiths that were common there around the turn of the century. Brits being Brits, before sale, they all had to be assured of proof, and many were sleeved and reproofed prior to sale. There were PAGES and PAGES of them in the auction houses over there being dumped. I still have a few which my kids will eventually get. In one of the green leather trimmed canvas cases, I found a tucked note in the lining that had been given to the gunsmith. Best I can tell, it appears this chap went off to war, dropped the gun off, and never returned. Makes you think. While those little doubles would make a hell of a project gun, I would not want to suffer in the afterlife for getting it altered into something the original owner would deem “uncivilized”.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    I have a 311 that I used for CAS. I decided to change out the springs with this set. I ended up taking the gun to a gunsmith in a bucket. Those springs are hard to compress.

Even after a good bit of work, the barrels did not want to stay all the way open for unloading and reloading.

At least a long time ago, you could replace the spring on a stoeger coach gun with a recoil spring from a 1911. Made the gun much easier to load and unload. Don't know if there have been any changes since then. It was an early model.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Modify the 311 so the barrels open up further to reduce or eliminate rebound

http://rucascowboys.com/stevensmod.htm
    Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    Thanks for that!
    I am gonna try to do it. I will admit I am nervous about this. Not the actual cutting, but reassembling. By all accounts its a mother bitch of a job.

My son has the Stoeger coach gun double triggers in 12g. That thing is a hoot.

We have found that the Sellier and Belot buckshot loads are somewhat low recoil. We have tried 00 as well as #4 buck in it and it is not bad at all. I'd stick with 12g if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    I am gonna try to do it. I will admit I am nervous about this. Not the actual cutting, but reassembling. By all accounts its a mother bitch of a job.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I have watched that video 30 times over, trying to convince myself this aint no shit. I dont understand. I can dis/reassemble most handguns, shotguns, and rifles brought to me, but there are some that just intimidate me! Intimidate probably isn't the right word, because I am still gonna do the disassembly. I never want to be "that guy" who disassembles a gun and cant put it back together.

So I almost finished my Stevens 311 build. The "Sipowicz Special". I finally added ti the Benelli/Remington vent rib sights to the solid rib of the Stevens 311
    Attached Images Attached Images    

That looks great. The everyman’s express double.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It may be irrational AF, but I've got an urge to get a 20-gauge coach gun. As I age, I've come to like that cartridge more and more.

Talk me down?
    Can't talk you down. I will need to buy one or two to avoid taking a hacksaw to my dad's sequentually serial numbered Beretta O/Us, one in 20 gauge, and one in 12. My irrational want is for Mel Gibson's thigh rig with the pistol SBS break action side by side. Not only do I lust after that concept, but I always thought the O/U would be better suited to the role.

I also like the 20, raising teens that are showing recoil sensitivity and all. I just wish there were half the quality loads the 12 has...

pat

User Tag List