Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 20 Gauge Coach Gun

Say “Howdy” With A 20-Gauge Howdah

If one is going to hand-load, anyway:

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tip...ah-hunter.html

Non-NFA.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Let me be the Spock/No fun voice. Don't get a 20 gauge coach gun.

Comparing just the Stoeger Coach guns which in 12 and 20 are 6.5 and 6.4 pounds in weight. The 2 3/4 inch loads for a 20 are the only low recoil choices in a 20, as the 3 inch loads kick a good bit more than a 2 3/4 inch12 ga. low recoil load. Those two factoids together of course mean the 20 version will recoil more than the 12 with the added disadvantages of limited ammunition choices and availability. See the thread entitled "Looking for 20 gauge suggestions" in the ammo section here for details on that.

Having said that, my Stoeger 12 Coach handles great and shoots Brenneke slugs from both barrels to within 3 inches of point of aim at 50 yards. I was shocked too.

The Stoeger comes with a Picatinny rail for lights and sights both (in the Double Defense model) and I say get one of those. But in a 12.
    My apologies to weasels.

I would talk you down by talking you into a 12-gauge coach gun, allowing you to have more options of less expensive and better performing ammo. Plus low-recoil 12-gauge feels like 20-gauge recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I would talk you down by talking you into a 12-gauge coach gun, allowing you to have more options of less expensive and better performing ammo. Plus low-recoil 12-gauge feels like 20-gauge recoil.
    It's true that 20 gauge ammo selection pretty much sucks all the time whereas 12 just sucks, like, this quarter (I hope!) But I imagine you've already got a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot someplace. This idea has the undeniable appeal of allowing you to buy another shotgun. Maybe you'll even get to take it to the gunsmith, which is like buying it a second time, only for a little less money!

I once cut a 12ga Sterlingworth down to 19" and the grip into a birdshead grip. Long before the shockwaves were talked about.

I sold it to a friend, well gave. For like a case of beer because he couldn't really afford anything. I miss it. He loves it.

I also really miss my 26" 20ga spanish sxs with double triggers. It had a mod/cyl choke and carried so nice. I need to find another one.

Site Supporter
    there is a dog leg inside the receiver that reactivates the safety every time you close the action. This dogleg need only be dremeled off, but it is something to be aware of.
    Yes, I was given one as 'mystery' pickup gun in a house clearing exercise. You had to use it. Took a couple of 2 shot loads to figure it out.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I can tell you that the Stoeger "tactical" coach gun is an unforgivable pile of junk. I have handled multiple examples and they suck out loud.
    3/15/2016

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thanks. You probably saved me money, eventually. I've been looking at the non-tactical versions more and more often lately. Although I might replace that with cruising GB for 311s.

ETA - dang, it seems like every 311 has a cracked stock at the front end where it meets the receiver...

EATA - Boyd's has coverage if that's a problem.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-11-2020 at 10:20 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List