Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 Gauge Coach Gun

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It may be irrational AF, but I've got an urge to get a 20-gauge coach gun. As I age, I've come to like that cartridge more and more.

Talk me down?
    See http://www.longhunt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Of course, you could double down and buy a MEC. Or just buy some authentic coach gun brass hulls. There, I tried.
    Magtech still makes unprimed 12 gauge brass hulls. I *think* you have to do some special stuff to load them. That said, some of those in a leather butt cuff from Andy Langlois would badass.

Site Supporter
    CZ makes a double barrel hammer double. But if I had coin, I would buy a new Ithaca M37 20 gauge security shotgun and pay them an extra $100 to test fire it 50 times to verify impact point and reliable function. I do not imply that this is necessary, but spending the extra money would be worth it to me.

Site Supporter
    I have a 311R that I kept in the closet for my wife when I was not home. It has a leather butt cuff on it. I kept it loaded with snap caps so I could fire both triggers and leave it like that. I also rubber banded two OO buck shells to the pistol grip. It reminded her to load it. It had a simple manual of arms

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The better young Turks site:

https://www.stoegerindustries.com/co...igger-shotguns

Then use gun.deals to find the best price on the one you like.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Modify the 311 so the barrels open up further to reduce or eliminate rebound

http://rucascowboys.com/stevensmod.htm

I turned an old Lefever 16 into a Fudd Tactical a few years ago. According to my research it originally had 28" barrels when new that were cut to 26" before I was born, presumably to open up the chokes. It was effectively open in one barrel and modified in the other with the two inch cut. I inherited the gun about 50 years ago from my grandfather, and about 15 years ago a good friend of mine who is really quite talented talked me into having him refinish it. Since the barrels were already cut and the gun didn't have any collector value, I had him go ahead with that project. As expected, he did a first class job.

A few years ago I decided to cut the barrels back to 20 inches and installed a HiViz FO front sight. It patterns Federal 2-3/4" 12-pellet 1B at 10 yards inside the 9-ring of a B27, and inside the 10-ring at five yards. Broken down if fits easily in the carry-on travel luggage I use for our visits to NY. I carry the ammo in a Wilderness ZipLoader, it holds the 16 gauge shells just tight enough they don't fall out.

For a home defense piece it wouldn't be my first choice, but I would not feel terribly disadvantaged either.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Damn. You always have the coolest shotguns....

Thinking out loud, I wonder how much cutting one down to 18”-20” and doing what you have done above would cost? I have a 12ga that has been collecting dust for nearly 30 years that either needs some tough love or booted out the door.

“Fudd Tactical”. BTW, I’m stealing that too.
    Last edited by entropy; 06-10-2020 at 06:37 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have one of the aforementioned Stoeger coach guns, but in 12 gauge. Recoil is substantial, until you get a good recoil pad mounted.
    It is in my 12ga, but I tenderize my shoulder with the original butt plate to remind myself of days when I thought nothing of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Magtech still makes unprimed 12 gauge brass hulls. I *think* you have to do some special stuff to load them. That said, some of those in a leather butt cuff from Andy Langlois would badass.
    I've got a box of Magtech 16ga around here somewhere. The plan was to load them with black powder because it was a good idea...maybe? I never got around to it, but if someone wants to do it, start here https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ma...tinfo/3921270/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List