Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggested Par Times

I will sometimes look to standards set be certain trainers as an initial benchmark for myself.

For example, here are the CSAT standards for pistol:

1. Ready 1 shot 1 target 7 yards 1 SEC
    2. Holster 1 shot 1 target 7 yards 1.7 SEC
    3. Ready 2 shots 1 target 7 yards 1.5 SEC
    4. Ready 5/1 shots 1 target 7 yards 3 SEC
    5. Ready 4 shots 2x target 7 yards 3 SEC
    6. Ready 4 shots 2x weak/2x strong (1target) 5 SEC
    7. Ready 1 shot Malfunction drill (1 target) 3 SEC
    8. Ready 4 shots 2 Reload 2 (1 target) 5 SEC
    9. Rifle up 1 shot Dry fire/transition 3.25 SEC
    10. Holster 1 shot Kneeling (1 target) 25 yards 3.25 SEC
    I would say I use the rifle standards more, given I don't practice as much with the rifle, just to make sure I'm at least maintaining a certain level of performance. Kyle Defoor has his own set of standards and I'm sure others do as well. I'm well below the average experience level here, but this seems to work for me as something to at least shoot for from a bare minimum perspective.

I'd also recommend checking out some of the DOTW speed push items: DotW 20: SHO & WHO Speed Push and Week 7: 3x5 Speed Push for ideas on how to increase speed a set a new standard for yourself. This is something I've been meaning to do once I get a little further down the experience road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Stoeger View Post
    .8 seconds for a hands at side draw to a sight picture (not a shot) is very easy for guys that train.
    You are specific to say sight picture, not shot. How much does time to shot differ for you? Since you word it this way, is it safe to assume you are acquiring sight picture at full extension before beginning the trigger press?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    You are specific to say sight picture, not shot. How much does time to shot differ for you? Since you word it this way, is it safe to assume you are acquiring sight picture at full extension before beginning the trigger press?
    I don't think the time differs at all in dryfire, but I think it is a poor habit to always draw to a shot. Many people want to pull the trigger just to beat the par time without actually seeing anything.

I know that I usually train to get a sight picture and THEN pull the trigger, but when I am pushing really hard on close targets I tend to round off the edges a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Stoeger View Post

I know that I usually train to get a sight picture and THEN pull the trigger.
    Ben, so I understand you correctly: you're shooting DA/SA with the first shot being DA, and you are getting a sight picture first, before even starting a trigger pull?

From a practical example, that barrage of sub-3 FASTs, your hammer didn't start moving back until you had your sight on those 3x5(or 4) cards?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Ben, so I understand you correctly: you're shooting DA/SA with the first shot being DA, and you are getting a sight picture first, before even starting a trigger pull?

From a practical example, that barrage of sub-3 FASTs, your hammer didn't start moving back until you had your sight on those 3x5(or 4) cards?

The second half of my post answered that. When I am pushing hard, I cut corners. Most of the time, it is sight picture and then trigger press.

I just happened to be practicing draw to first shot last night. I keep pushing the par timer lower to force myself to run faster. I ended up on 1 second with maybe a tenth or two to spare. I thought that was greased lightning fast until Ben just said .6 tenths!!! Good God...

Thanks for all the input here. Good insight and tips abound.
    - Full Time Geek
    - NRA Certified Instructor
    - USPSA Competitor (A-69999)

Quote Originally Posted by xarmyguy77 View Post
    I just happened to be practicing draw to first shot last night. I keep pushing the par timer lower to force myself to run faster. I ended up on 1 second with maybe a tenth or two to spare. I thought that was greased lightning fast until Ben just said .6 tenths!!! Good God...
    I'm nowhere near Ben's level, but I think you'd be surprised at what's possible given a little dedicated practice. I've been working on my draw from AIWB... If I'm really flying I can get a sight picture from concealment in .6.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

I am not doubting, but this I want to see on video.

Ask and you shall receive! I kept going until I screwed up. Got 2 1/2 minutes straight of pretty good draws right around the .6 mark. On a few I missed it, and on a few I convincingly beat the par time. All of my sight pictures were inside of a 6" square at ~20ft or so. I know my hands are cut off in the video, but I didn't start holding my shirt or something, they were just relaxed at sides.

A caveat, I can't do this in live fire yet, much less at a match or something... soon!

Another caveat, I would never ever EVER carry AIWB with a loose undershirt like this. I just wanted to save you all from my belly Even though I look my gun into my holster... it's just not worth the risk of it bunching up and getting in the holster. Maybe something more compression fit... this one is way too loose though.

Say what you will about "junk carry"... it is scary fast. Also, SIRT pistols rock.

All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

User Tag List