Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: US Army open to considering removal of Confederate leaders' names from bases

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Yes. I was stationed at Fort Bliss.
    Fortunate that you weren't stationed at Fort Dix.

Site Supporter
    If I ever die a hero in uniform, I'd hope they'd honor my name with a range or a taproom, not a whole post.
    I don't know a single honest soul that has uttered the name 'Ft Hood' without at least a *little* venom or disgust.

Yes, we have much more recent heroes, but we've been wasting time naming ships after living politicians of dubious merit. If we're worried about who we celebrate in U.S. history, we can start fixing current practices elsewhere, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    If I ever die a hero in uniform, I'd hope they'd honor my name with a range or a taproom, not a whole post.
    I don't know a single honest soul that has uttered the name 'Ft Hood' without at least a *little* venom or disgust.

Yes, we have much more recent heroes, but we've been wasting time naming ships after living politicians of dubious merit. If we're worried about who we celebrate in U.S. history, we can start fixing current practices elsewhere, too.
    Now I can't get Just Really good Beer & bourbon outta my head...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Last week, two of us CSOs stayed late with the marshals to secure the courthouse. A big protest was planned at City Hall across the street and it looked like we might wind up being the Alamo. I told my partner, "We're gonna be legendary bro. They're gonna name something after us for sure. In the future recruits at FLETC are gonna take a shit in the memorial mens room named after us." Sadly, it didn't come to pass. Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie are safe from competition.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Last week, two of us CSOs stayed late with the marshals to secure the courthouse. A big protest was planned at City Hall across the street and it looked like we might wind up being the Alamo. I told my partner, "We're gonna be legendary bro. They're gonna name something after us for sure. In the future recruits at FLETC are gonna take a shit in the memorial mens room named after us." Sadly, it didn't come to pass. Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie are safe from competition.
    You mighta had a chance if your last names were "Buck" and "Doe"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    You shouldn't name things after losers and traitors.
    If bases can be named for Confederate officers, then West point should have been named for Benedict Arnold.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Some bases already have nicknames:

Fort Leonard Woods => Fort Lost in the Woods
    Fort Huachuca => Fort Hoochiemama
    Fort Eustis => Fort Useless

The lab I worked at managed several test ranges at Fort A. P. Hill, and I spent a lot of time down there doing field tests. The first time I heard about it, someone said that we were "going to the hill." In the DC area, that usually means Capitol Hill, but not in this case.
    Fort Jackson -- Fort Slackin' Jackson
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Fortunate that you weren't stationed at Fort Dix.
    Ft. Locusts! Ft. Drought!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Fort Jackson -- Fort Slackin' Jackson
    "Relaxin' Jackson" or "Action Jackson" are a bit more common these days. The latter of course is a rather boorish reference to it being a Coed BCT station.

If this conversation were not being held in the context of purging any historical symbol connected in some way with slavery/racism to slake the thirst of the Black Lives Matter protestors, I would totally be on board with the argument that there are more current figures whom we could name bases after. Neither do I think that changing the names will destroy my understanding of our history or the notable characters who comprise it. I do, however question when the time will come that we can agree that place names, statues, etc., can remain unchanged because we are all collectively secure in our relationship with our country’s history and with our fellow citizens.

By the standards for purging monuments and place names that are currently being applied, ours is a target rich environment. As a reluctant cynic, I see another “outrage” movement around the “chronological” corner. Each time, more demands to tear down and rename will be met. The cycle will only continue. I will therefore respectfully decline to support what might otherwise be a benign request for change.

User Tag List