Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory Vickers Master Class 1911

The sight is similar to the Novak dovetail competition sight

https://www.novaksights.com/Detail.a...00514&CAT=9544

In the 97 handguns book there is a picture of a "mid generation delta pistol" that has the Novak sight. the article was written by Ken Hackathorn so I'm assuming it's accurate. I have over the years saw pictures of purported Army pistols sporting the Wilson (model 61 I think) sight and a few years back Vickers put up a picture of a clone he made of his first "unit" issued 1911. That had the shorter version of that sight. Kind of a nod to the originals but not a clone.
    I wish Wilson would drop the scallop around the sight notch. I have a set on a Glock and find it distracting would also prefer a square notch like the Pepperoni sight Wilson makes for the Berettas.

I'll probably pick one up to go with my bench:
    Name:  lav.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  43.6 KB

I want one in 9mm!

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    I want one in 9mm!
    Yep, but at 4-1/4"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by penates View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that the rear sight overhanging the slide looks like shit?
    It's not for looks. It provides a slightly longer sight radius which allows for more precise sight alignment with iron sight.

Now for the really important question, how can I get one of these smuggled into California.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I have a TRP that is having feeding issues I haven’t figured out yet. My Combat Operator will eat anything. That’s been my experience with Springfield. One will work and one won’t even with multiple examples of the same model pistol.

It doesn’t bother me to send a Range Officer to the gunsmith to be tuned up. But their higher tier stuff should work out of the box no matter what.
    Send it in. The reason I love my TRP is that it's a nice 1911 that the company will fix when it doesn't work, and of which I could buy an identical one tomorrow.

I'd be interested if this one is regulated to hit POA/POI or hit at the dot, like Springfield likes to ship their other pistols.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Ths actually strikes me a semi-reasonable 1911 value.

Of course, if I were actually to go into harsh environment sitation, it would likely be a Glock as opposed to a 1911 kinda day...

Pretty sensible selection of components, and tasteful aesthetics all around.

Best, Jon

My opinion on the pistol is mixed. In general, I like SA 1911-pattern pistols and have two (a Professional and a Custom Carry) from SACS. So I know what SACS can do, and the price is competitive as a base Custom Carry from SACS is now $2395. The $1495 MSRP for the Vickers pistol will be lower while the Custom Carry price is always MSRP unless you get one used. And the Custom Carry has no front strap traction treatment. The Custom Carry benefits from the labor spent fitting the barrel.

But this pistol seems to have features selected for appearance, not function. There are some features I really like, such as the absence of front cocking serrations, a great front sight, good action components, a pinned ejector, and good traction treatments on the front strap and mainspring housing. But there are others that do not make sense, such as combining a traditional rowel hammer with the high grip beavertail (the rowel hammer screams for the rat tail Commander grip safety), an extended ejector (meaning ejecting loaded rounds could be fun), a rear sight that is doomed to be destroyed or snag cover garments as it hangs off the slide, no thumb safety lock on the starboard side, no real magazine well, and no rail. If this pistol was really meant for rough use, a welded mag well, perhaps from Stan Chen, would be a really good feature.

I bet the pistol sells, which is the goal, due to the Vickers name and "the look". But, if i was in the market and could not wait for my smith of choice, my choice would be a used Custom Carry with the 20 lpi checkering. It is a heck of a pistol.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

User Tag List