Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to wing claw vs standard AIWB

When to wing claw vs standard AIWB

This is probably been covered to death elsewhere but I was wondering when to go with the wing claw vs when to go with the standard AIWB?

I noticed on your website the George is for 32" and under waist and the Wing Claw 2.0/2.5 are good for either waist but I was wondering if there is certain gun lengths or grip lengths that work better with one style vs the other?

I just got a 43x and the standard AIWBs have always worked well for me but the current trend seems to be the claw and I'm wondering if it works better with this kind of gun.

I wouldn't get too hung up with the numbers. I find that my clawless "George" in 19 size hides my 26 every bit as well as clawed models by and large. Both types of holsters can have pros and cons. The same goes for using a G19 with clawed / clawless holsters. It just depends.

It's more a matter of your own body proportions in my experience. The only real way to know is to try them. Personally, if I can get away with less "complication", that's what I would opt for.

But in truth, you won't know until you've tried both.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Agreed. I'd say though the longer the pistol grip frame and narrower your waist line, the more likely you may be to benefit from the wing.

I have a 30" waist and a slim upper body, very little shirt drape. What has worked for me is to get a claw type holster, check if the edge of the slide/rear sight prints, and if so sand down the claw face in small increments and recheck. With that method I can carry a fullsize gun under a *T-shirt. Even with a smaller gun, a claw is mandatory for me.

* Unless it is windy, then I can't conceal anything without a stiff & patterned button shirt.

Site Supporter
    The nice thing about JM claw setups - my last one came with two different height nubs for the claw, which give different amounts of rotation. You can also flip them 180* and fine tune the pressure as well.

I find that if I give too much rotation with a claw on my VP9 w/ Holosun (factory plates), it sticks out like my belly button is pitching a tent. Iron sights don't care at all for me.

I've also found that the wedge, and where you place that, gives a axis of rotation that can exacerbate the slide poking out if it isn't placed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    This is probably been covered to death elsewhere but I was wondering when to go with the wing claw vs when to go with the standard AIWB?

I noticed on your website the George is for 32" and under waist and the Wing Claw 2.0/2.5 are good for either waist but I was wondering if there is certain gun lengths or grip lengths that work better with one style vs the other?

I just got a 43x and the standard AIWBs have always worked well for me but the current trend seems to be the claw and I'm wondering if it works better with this kind of gun.
    The Claw designs will always torque the grip in more than a wedge design so if more concealment is what your after than the claw designs will work better. Like blues said, the best way and surest way is to try it. For length, longer is better as it conceals better, offers a better draw and ride height, aids against roll out, leverages the gun into you more and creates less pressure at the muzzle. Having said all that, if you carry an AIWB model now and it's with a Glock 19 or better grip length and it works for you, then "don't fix it if it ain't broke". Hope that helps.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    The Claw designs will always torque the grip in more than a wedge design so if more concealment is what your after than the claw designs will work better. Like blues said, the best way and surest way is to try it. For length, longer is better as it conceals better, offers a better draw and ride height, aids against roll out, leverages the gun into you more and creates less pressure at the muzzle. Having said all that, if you carry an AIWB model now and it's with a Glock 19 or better grip length and it works for you, then "don't fix it if it ain't broke". Hope that helps.
    I ordered one with a claw to see how it works for me.

Tony said it well, if absolute concealment is what you are after then you definitely want a wing. I find with a wing I don't need as much of a wedge and I don't need my belt as tight as I do with a standard aiwb holster.

I’m just gonna reply here instead of posting a new thread. I’m in a similar boat OP. I’ve got 6 or 7 original model AIWB holsters for 1911s and G19s all with the extra tuck and retrofit foam pads/wedges. Also, I’m 5’9, 160lbs, and have a 32” waist. I carry at roughly 12:30-1:00. I have been considering selling off my stash and ordering some new 2.5’s.

I’ve had issues in the past with the g19 length rolling out on me, so I’d order a 17 length. I’d skip the extra tuck and just go with the foam wedges. I’m on the fence re: wing v. original. All of the reviews I’ve read, from guys I trust, seem to indicate the newer wing models are the cat’s pajamas.

Should I drop the old and get in with the new?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash41984 View Post
    I’m just gonna reply here instead of posting a new thread. I’m in a similar boat OP. I’ve got 6 or 7 original model AIWB holsters for 1911s and G19s all with the extra tuck and retrofit foam pads/wedges. Also, I’m 5’9, 160lbs, and have a 32” waist. I carry at roughly 12:30-1:00. I have been considering selling off my stash and ordering some new 2.5’s.

I’ve had issues in the past with the g19 length rolling out on me, so I’d order a 17 length. I’d skip the extra tuck and just go with the foam wedges. I’m on the fence re: wing v. original. All of the reviews I’ve read, from guys I trust, seem to indicate the newer wing models are the cat’s pajamas.

Should I drop the old and get in with the new?
    I would say to try one of the claw designs and see if it's "significantly" better, if not, "don't fix it if it ain't broke"

Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

User Tag List