Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why The Holosun 507C V2 is Making Me Love Circle Dot Reticles!

Why The Holosun 507C V2 is Making Me Love Circle Dot Reticles!

I have never been an EOTech guy. While I have had a couple on principle and still run one on a Tavor because it looks cool, I have always thought the reticle was too busy not to mention the battery life. After much carbine training I didn't need more than a dot to make hits with carbines and was used to the holdover. I have had dozens of Aimpoints and probably have over a dozen mounted right now to include a T1 on a duty long gun.

Then came Holosun and I started getting them for all my fun guns and I got a couple circle dot ones that are neat, but it still wasn't doing it for me on carbines.

Now that my Dept. is authorizing them, I am getting into pistol mounted MRDS and got a G17 and G19 MOS. I started with a RMR06 and was having trouble finding the dot quickly. After much work I got better but still couldn't get on target as fast as my decades of front sight training had ingrained into me. More and more dry fire helped, but I still wasn't happy...

When the 507C V2 came out I was intrigued by the beefiness, the buttons, the solar, the shake awake, although not really the reticle. I almost bought a 407C instead but then went for it just to see what would happen. I mounted it on my G19 and OMG! Within a dozen presentations I could almost instantly find the dot and get on target! All the arguments I had heard for EOTech on carbines came true instantly for me with a MRDS. My eye instantly catches the circle dot and allows for quick aiming especially up close where I am used to a flash front sight picture. Also, the dot is much crisper than the RMR06.

Now, the 507C V2 is not perfect. Indoors dry fire finds many situations where the auto brightness fails to include pointing at the TV or out bright window. Maybe these are too unique of a situation as I have not seen the issue outdoors, but it doesn't mean it can't happen. Of course, this is also an issue with the RMR06 or probably any sight using auto brightness.

Lots more shooting and training to go, but this is definitely an interesting revelation for me.

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-07-2020 at 01:54 AM.

I think you should experiment with turning the center dot off, and try using just the circle. This allows you to look at the target, and your eye will naturally center the target in the circle, which is very fast and gets rid of the bouncing dot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think you should experiment with turning the center dot off, and try using just the circle. This allows you to look at the target, and your eye will naturally center the target in the circle, which is very fast and gets rid of the bouncing dot.
    Do you think this option would ease the transition into dots? I've been considering getting a Glock MOS to start testing the waters for myself.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Do you think this option would ease the transition into dots? I've been considering getting a Glock MOS to start testing the waters for myself.
    Following.

P365XL here, waiting for either @Bratch or @GJM to try out a 507k before I buy an optic myself. Also, paging @cornstalker.

Site Supporter
    Watching this thread as well. I am seriously considering a P365XL with a 407k as my first red dot pistol, but am now seriously considering the 507k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Good idea! Will do.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have a Glock 19 MOS in order. I couldn’t decide between the holosun or the RMR. I think you have judged me towards the holosun

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Following.

P365XL here, waiting for either @Bratch or @GJM to try out a 507k before I buy an optic myself. Also, paging @cornstalker.
    Be tough to say until we get to try them out. I have a Pre-order in for a 407k, but don’t have a clue when I will see it.

Site Supporter
    I don't have a red dot equipped handgun. I played with one a few years back but had a hard time finding the dot. I'm 52, and as many know, your eyes get old. A red dot is in my future.
    When you say circle dot this is what I found:
    Name:  HSHS507C_4_HR.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  16.3 KB

The one I tried in the past was just a dot, so you have me wondering if the circle dot would be better. I need to try a circle dot and see if it is easier to find.
    And I need to determine if my muffin top is going to push the gun/optic out from my waist.
    Last edited by Blades; 06-07-2020 at 04:04 PM.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I believe a circle makes it easier, since with a misaligned optic, you may see a part of the circle where a dot may be gone from the display.

Beyond a misaligned optic, using just a circle reticle helps you to look at the target not the reticle, eliminates a “bouncing dot,” and using your eye’s ability to naturally center things, can be very fast. I wish Holosun made a slide pistol optic with a larger display than the 507 with the circle option.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List