Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VP9 is a German Matryoshka doll

There is a really simple motto to follow with all things German -

Cars
    Motorcycles
    Women
    Guns
    Etc.

Don’t fuck with anything under the hood. Maybe - MAYBE basic maintenance.

What you’re paying for when you opt German is the over-engineered, über precision, that comes with Teutonic obsession to detail. The whole idea behind German engineering is precisely to have thought of everything so you don’t have to.

Americans are sort of cavalier in this regard. We typically view customization as a need, not a luxury. And thus, because we view things this way, we typically want things built in an accessible way.

The thing about the VP9 is, aside from the striker dropping, the only thing it might need besides springs and oil is sights to your preferences.

HK = Porsche
    Glock = Toyota

H&K, as with Porsche, may have a tendency to over-engineer and over-complicate some designs. IMO, there is beauty in the engineering though, at least most of the times. Both can be extremely durable and reliable (I've owned 4 Porsches before so I speak from experience), even if sometimes they can be downright maddening to work on yourself. I'm just glad the VP9 exists, and hope it's selling well for them and helping keep the brand afloat. They may not be perfect, and the striker issues do concern me, but I personally think they were a good next step for the brand. Now, if we could just get a VP9 with a more robust striker/FPS design, with the prototype HK45 P2000-style grip, I'd be a happy camper!

Toyota, generally, has the stupid reliability and durability, but often without some of the insane engineering decisions. Not necessarily the "prettiest" vehicles. Some people say the same of Glocks. Not me, though. I enjoy them for what they are.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I believed all the comments about how difficult a USP is to detail strip until I actually did it. It's not that bad, except for the TRS, which is a PITA even with the pliers if you're installing the heavy spring. (I think one could design a better tool for the job than the pliers, to be honest.)

One thing I like about the USP is that the complexity is exploited effectively; many characteristics and functions are independent from each other, so you have great flexibility and adaptability in determining exactly how you want it to all work.* It's essentially modular; you pick what pieces you want, and mostly they'll all work together safely. Once you understand how it all fits together, it's easy enough to deal with. Might not want to do it in a mud pit, but then again, I've seen an automatic transmission overhauled in a mud pit, so it can be done.

The Glock's simplicity means that operational features and characteristics are all wrapped around each other, so if you change one thing, you're likely changing two or three other things, and there really isn't much scope for changing anything very much without risking a dangerous condition.

Have never handled a VP9 more than two feet from the gun counter.

*S&W 3rd-gens are the counterpoint: Just as complex if not more so, but almost no adaptability. Also, good for about 10 percent as many rounds before the frames can be expected to start cracking.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    The Japanese dont even make pistols for their own market. The JSDF recently adopted the VP9.
    Well, one might say there is no “market” for pistols in Japan.

The JSDF SIG P220’s that the VP9 (actually, SFP-9) is replacing are actually Made in Japan Minebea P9’s, made under license from the now-defunct SIG Germany. Among other things the Japanese pistols have the old-school heel mag release and a lanyard loop in the heel. I believe most in issued service are marked NMB (Nippon Miniature Bearing) which is MinebeaMitsumi’s original name.

The VP9 also has a lanyard provision. They do seem to like pistol lanyards in Japan. I noticed that Prime Minister Abe’s uniformed security detail had lanyarded pistols when I met with him a few years ago. (The other very watchful guys with him in suits had them concealed).

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    I ride a Honda CBR 600 RR, 2007 model, since 2007. Very good bike, still the lightest production bike with at least 600cc on the planet.

Me too! Bought mine as a showroom leftover in 2008. 55K miles and zero issues. Also have a VFR.

Here’s a link to a handy downloadable HK document with part numbers and exploded diagram.

https://www.waltertrading.cz/storage/document/1344/
    Last edited by Archer1440; 07-04-2020 at 07:48 AM.

Lightbulb

I love the VP9. I find that it has a lot of muzzle flip compared to the CZ P-10C. The VP-9 is more accurate with me behind it but the CZ does not have great sight options so that could play a large role.

Staring at one of my VP9s, I don’t think it to difficult to disassemble but it’s “overly engineered” and I am an mechanical engineer.

He VP9 was the only pistol I’ve ever owned that needed... NOTHING. Just Trijicon XDs.

What bothers me is the trigger. It’s light and it’s short.

When SIG had its latest issues and we all discussed HOW these striker pistols work I began to rethink my love for the Teutonic knight as I like to appendix carry.

Without a well-placed, ergonomic external safety (SIG P320 M17 & M18) she could not stay in the stable so I let them all go.

If anyone would like an”Armorer’s Manual” please PM me or email me and I’ll forward it to you. “TooSixty” on HKPRO took gorgeous photos with insightful comments and I cut/pasted and PDF’d the document.

Reed.Kevin.J@gmail.com

User Tag List