Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know someone that can make custom scales for knives?

I think @blues offered the best approach. The below are simply Plans B and C.

You could visit http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ and look for the tabs. They are towards the top. Click "Bladesmiths" and then "Journeymen". A lot of journeymen are not fully employed knifesmiths and may be quite interested in making (for them) a quick dollar.

As an alternative, try the "Schools" tab. Schools have students whose work is monitored by their teachers, and (most) scale-making is not too complicated. It could be a Student Project.

Years ago I had two Cold Steel Voyagers (6" serrated blade, ~13" LOL) modified by a student gunsmith. The Emerson "wave" had just hit the market, and I asked the student to create something similar on each Voyager. He did a workmanlike job, and I used to carry them occasionally, one in each front pocket.

While I appreciate everyone saying I can just DIY and I actually have made handles myself in the past I don't have a shop or access to a shop. Wish that I did but I don't. I have no where to put all the tools I'd need even if it did make sense to buy them all just for this one project. And when working with something like G10 or carbon fiber I'd need a respirator which right now with the pandemic there is zero of those available.

These look nice for an Izula.

https://theknifeconnection.com/esee-izula/
    Last edited by DamonL; 06-13-2020 at 05:06 PM.

It may not be cheap but I believe Micah Sonntag should be able to help you out. Find him on Instagram or FB under MS Custom Knives.
    A really nice guy that makes great knives and does customizations too plus sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    These look nice for an Izula.

https://theknifeconnection.com/esee-izula/
    I looked into those but they weigh slightly more than the knife itself effectively doubling the weight. I know a 4.2oz knife doesn't sound heavy but when you wanted a 2oz knife and you suddenly have a 4oz knife it's much less appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    It may not be cheap but I believe Micah Sonntag should be able to help you out. Find him on Instagram or FB under MS Custom Knives.
    A really nice guy that makes great knives and does customizations too plus sharpening.
    I messaged him and he doesn't make scales apparently.

Also rant mode: I cannot express how much I hate that some of these custom knife maker and other gear guys only have contact via Instagram. Like just give people your email. I don't use Instagram but I had to make an account to message someone years ago and I still resent that I had to make a social media account just to contact someone. It's annoying because I know you have an email address because you need it to sign up for Instagram so why are you using a vastly inferior communication method? Might as well give me your fax number while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post

Also rant mode: I cannot express how much I hate that some of these custom knife maker and other gear guys only have contact via Instagram. Like just give people your email. I don't use Instagram but I had to make an account to message someone years ago and I still resent that I had to make a social media account just to contact someone. It's annoying because I know you have an email address because you need it to sign up for Instagram so why are you using a vastly inferior communication method? Might as well give me your fax number while we're at it.
    I agree with you. I can think of a few fine makers who have moved the bulk, (if not all), of their business and contacts to social media...but if I can't reach them via the old fashioned email route or a phone, I just move on.

It's unfortunate but I'm not opening accounts with fb, instagram, twitter or whatever the f^^k, simply to find a way to contact and place an order. If that makes me a Luddite, so be it.

I'm disappointed you haven't been able to find someone to answer the bell. I was certain you'd get a quick response. So much for being certain.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I agree with you. I can think of a few fine makers who have moved the bulk, (if not all), of their business and contacts to social media...but if I can't reach them via the old fashioned email route or a phone, I just move on.

It's unfortunate but I'm not opening accounts with fb, instagram, twitter or whatever the f^^k, simply to find a way to contact and place an order. If that makes me a Luddite, so be it.

I'm disappointed you haven't been able to find someone to answer the bell. I was certain you'd get a quick response. So much for being certain.
    Agreed on the Instagram and Facebook, which is an even more stupid platform, IMO.

The last part really chaps my ass, too. I thought for sure it would be easy. My last thought would be to maybe check over on the BushcraftUSA forums. Really good community there, a lot of smaller tinkerers and makers that might want to take it on. Barring that, a local machine shop or wood furniture maker or something, maybe.

User Tag List