Thread: Questions about the different grades of XS Big Dot front sights

Questions about the different grades of XS Big Dot front sights

After having participated in this wide-ranging and truth-bomb-laden thread here, I have done some due diligence* and decided my best course of action with my current Ithaca 37 HD/utility shotgun is simply do spring replacement as needed(done),
    grab an Esstac sidesaddle card and velcro, and add a glue-on XS Big Dot sight over the existing bead, and get more practice in.

But which one of the Big Dots? Is tritium critical? If so, white dot or orange?
    And does anyone have experience with the ember (glowing) dot type in yellow or orange?

If I can save $ to go towards a dedicated HD 870/590/1100/1301 and classes with our big names here, I'd rather do that.

Thanks, O grand P-F Hive Mind!

*Fitting a rifle sight barrel is prohibitively expensive, as is adding rifle sights to the existing 21" social tube.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

When I used the Ithaca 37 for HD, my gun had a "Raybar" front sight, which was a primitive fiber optic sight. One of the things I liked about the sight was that I could not see it if my mount was wrong; as such, it was a great training tool. Once the gun fit and my mount was consistent, it was hard to miss with the gun as the sight was plainly visible in most any light. If you are planning on using a weapon light, a modern fiber optic sight would be useful and much less expensive than the XS Big Dot with tritium. The Glo Dot II magnetic mount is inexpensive and an easy way to find out if a fiber optic sight works for you. https://www.truglo.com/firearms-wing...05DD8A38F256EC is for plain barrels

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    When I used the Ithaca 37 for HD, my gun had a "Raybar" front sight, which was a primitive fiber optic sight. One of the things I liked about the sight was that I could not see it if my mount was wrong; as such, it was a great training tool. Once the gun fit and my mount was consistent, it was hard to miss with the gun as the sight was plainly visible in most any light. If you are planning on using a weapon light, a modern fiber optic sight would be useful and much less expensive than the XS Big Dot with tritium. The Glo Dot II magnetic mount is inexpensive and an easy way to find out if a fiber optic sight works for you. https://www.truglo.com/firearms-wing...05DD8A38F256EC is for plain barrels
    Did you find that you needed to do much adjustment for POA/POI offset with the Glo Dot II?
    For what it's worth, I don't think I'll be mounting a light on this shotgun; I will save the hassle & expense for a modern HD pump or self-loading shotgun with a proper light and probably a red dot optic.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Did you find that you needed to do much adjustment for POA/POI offset with the Glo Dot II?
    For what it's worth, I don't think I'll be mounting a light on this shotgun; I will save the hassle & expense for a modern HD pump or self-loading shotgun with a proper light and probably a red dot optic.
    I have never used the Glo Dot II on an Ithaca M37. I did use it as a temporary sight on a Remington Model 11. It took some fiddling and some time on the pattern board to get the shot pattern where it needed to be. Small movements fore and aft would raise and the lower the pattern. It was very educational.

And does anyone have experience with the ember (glowing) dot type in yellow or orange?

I cannot contrast and compare, but I can offer an anecdote.

When I was the Chief of an itty-bitty department, I acquired a 590DA1 shotgun from Mossberg under their T&E program, which was subsequently purchased.

After said purchase, I had the stock cut down and an XS Big Dot w/tritium installed. After the work, I was able to satisfactorily bust clays with the 18-ish inch barrel and DA trigger.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

For your consideration ....

Standard Bradley style beads come in orange/red and white and you can try both for less than $15. I personally find white beads to be quite useful.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I can personally take or leave tritium, myself. It’s good for finding a handgun in the dark, but I’d prefer going the "all the lumens" route otherwise. As well, the trit part in the dot is pretty small.

Now, that said, the only XS available for the Ruger LCR when I was shopping for mine was the ‘ember’ dealio. I chose the orange version. The sight needs a quick hit from a light to energize up, but, since the entire dot area glows when so stoked, it’s like using the planet mars to get a bead on things. A shotty with an oversize orange ember up front would be dangerous game fast up close.

FWIW.

I have experience with all 6 XS Sights plain barrel offerings; white, white w/ trit, orange, orange w/trit, yellow, yellow w/ trit.

I prefer the orange and yellow options. They stand out very well. I have always found that the white, while good, could sometimes get lost in "clutter". The orange and yellow stand out more, hence the use of safety vests. As to the difference between orange and yellow, 6 of one, half dozen of another. I 8guess* I am partial to orange, but :shrug:.

Tritium versus no tritium, if this is for HD, I want tritium. The glow might make it easier for you to locate your weapon in a sleep deprived state at night. That glowing dot may help in low/no light. That said, my gauges have weapon lights, and I get enough flood from them to see my front sights without tritium.

ETA: Whatever you choose, call me at Lone Star Armory in Ft Worth at (817)-531-2807 on Wednesday in the mid-afternoon and I'll get you what you want and put a P-F deal out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    I have experience with all 6 XS Sights plain barrel offerings; white, white w/ trit, orange, orange w/trit, yellow, yellow w/ trit.

I prefer the orange and yellow options. They stand out very well. I have always found that the white, while good, could sometimes get lost in "clutter". The orange and yellow stand out more, hence the use of safety vests. As to the difference between orange and yellow, 6 of one, half dozen of another. I 8guess* I am partial to orange, but :shrug:.

Tritium versus no tritium, if this is for HD, I want tritium. The glow might make it easier for you to locate your weapon in a sleep deprived state at night. That glowing dot may help in low/no light. That said, my gauges have weapon lights, and I get enough flood from them to see my front sights without tritium.

ETA: Whatever you choose, call me at Lone Star Armory in Ft Worth at (817)-531-2807 on Wednesday in the mid-afternoon and I'll get you what you want and put a P-F deal out.
    Thank you for the info, sir! I've a much clearer idea of the differences between the various models.
    A call will be placed at the appointed time.

(Yoda Voice) Rocks, This Place Does! (/Yoda Voice)

And a big shout-out of thanks to @Brian T.

Name:  Ithaca_XS.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  40.0 KB

This thing is nice & bright in the dark and gives a great sight picture. I will be testing it in the next few days while patterning the gun. The stock is sufficiently short to give a good mount, so the sight leaps into place.

Thanks also for the aluminum follower and all the swag stickers! I have no idea what I'll put 'em on, but they're cool.

P-F rocks. That is all.

User Tag List