Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd: Cultural Shifts After June 2020

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Oh, and gun stores continue to rack up sales. My LGS reports crazy sales this past week. Riotpalooza is on track to match coronapalooza for numbers of first-time firearm buyers.
    Went to the LGS to pick up a consignment check for the last handgun I had put there awhile back.

Dude there was buying an AR. Knew absolutely nothing about it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    It's the general store of firearms forums if you can abide by the rules of a knife fight. Lots of knife fights.
    Definitely not the 'orange man great' stuff I'm used to on other sites.

Student
    No matter what, I think we'll have done it to ourselves, from wherever the beginning was.

Edit:

"We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’d really appreciate PF LEOs helping this guy get hired. I’ll vouch for him.
    You hate that feller?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia View Post
    A Virginia Beach Black Police Chief wants more Blacks in the Force. Say's they should be EXEMPT from taking the Math Portion of the exam. We are seeing these kind of acts all across the state.
    That's kind of the rub, many of the folks, black or white, yellow or brown, who are best qualified to be police officers, are also qualified to do something else that, in most cases, pays more and doesn't impact their personal life nearly as much.

I coming up on 20 with my current department, but I don't plan on staying around for DROP. At 41, I'll be too old for any federal jobs and I'm not really trying to take a hit on pay by going back to a patrol spot at a smaller agency. After this past week my time supervising or working in any proactive unit is quickly coming to an end.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don’t know that this forum has the demographic to predict what will happen in most cases. Just joining up here selects for a certain demographic that isn’t the majority.

But looking at some of the themes already posted...

A reduction in LE selection criteria seems likely from a variety of angles, from lack of applicants to social programs designed to get more diversity. If you want to know what that looks like, check out the NOLA PD which I believe is widely regarded as one of the most corrupt and incompetent resulting from low pay which in turn results in no applicants which in turn gets you the same reduced standards. When I worked in a gunshop in college (where the academy y sent all recruits to buy their gear) the local PD was giving certain folks a full free ride, with paid salary (reduced) during the academy and including buying all of their gear. Almost none made it through the academy, despite having been given every opportunity x2. That means to me that if you really want people of a certain demographic you’ll not only need to pay them but you’ll also have to (further) lower the standards.

If the current events result in the remaining urban PF demographic and their associates running for the hills I think we will see more young folks move to or stick to the cities. We have been hearing since the recession that the boomers fucked the millennials and how they can’t afford to buy a house now, or pay rent, and if all the gen xers follow the boomers to the burbs and beyond, that just leaves lower housing costs in the cities that the millennials, gen z, and gen alpha will be able to take advantage of. But, this is nothing new, it always goes in cycles, and I doubt that the current unrest will really affect that in any way longer term. Besides the riots/protest COVID has it very difficult to buy/sell right now (at least in our area) and if some 45 year old lawyer wants to sell his loft and move his wife and kid to a ranch type style tract house he’s going to have a hard time for now, and by the time it’s feasible he’ll be back to appreciating his 10 minute commute that includes stopping for a latte.

If you believe the protesters, nothing has changed. King marched, the national guard killed some kids, the anarchists burned shit, Rodney king got killed, people rioted, a million men marched... and yet “nothing has changed”. My takeaway is that nothing will, and that nothing will be good enough. However, and I know I keep posting this, I would say that “we” should beware the pitchforks. Even if you don’t believe in any of the programs, “injustice”, “inequality”, etc. those on the other end of the spectrum do, their ranks are growing, their angst is being fanned, and their sense of entitlement is growing. Would you agree to be taxed at a 5%... 10%... higher rate if option b was pitchforks? Would you rather face the guillotine or live a 20% reduced cushy lifestyle? I’m not necessarily advocating for that, but it would be great if at our next Illuminate meeting we could agree on something.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Dude there was buying an AR. Knew absolutely nothing about it.
    So, business as usual?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I have requests from 5 people (all executive level & at or near retirement age) to help them go through the process of obtaining a self- defense handgun and learning to use one.
    A friend called me yesterday. He decided that the .357 revolver he bought 25 years ago (and has never shot) isn't sufficient, so he wants me to help him buy something more appropriate.

https://wjla.com/news/local/fairfax-...dent-black-man

This happened not far from me and close to where my wife teaches. There is a video in the article that shows the incident.

I'm not a cop so I won't pass judgement whether his actions were appropriate. Charges were brought against the officer within a day. Our county recently elected a new Commonwealth's Attorney who has a very progressive platform, so he is arriving at the a key time to implement his ideas. Several times reading the article and watching the news video clip, the term "knee in back" was used, so will that be a litmus test for use of force in the future?

User Tag List