Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd: Cultural Shifts After June 2020

I think the civil unrest conveniently dissipates if Biden wins. Is the media likely to enthusiastically endorse continued unrest if he’s in office? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Between the two incompetents?

I don't think it matters much at all. Both are votes for "let's end the American experiment."
    Is this really a firearms forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Not having a ton of connections, it didn’t really seem possible in my home area of the rural northeast to get on with a department.
    Perhaps you are limiting your options by not considering a move from the NE.

As someone that had an interest in pursuing that line of work, I didn’t seem to see a whole lot of opportunity to get my foot in the door without active duty or college credit.

What did I miss?
    As VCD noted, policing is regional, but in general a BA is generally looked at as a necessary thing for most non-tradesman professional jobs these days...so I'm not surprised you couldn't get a job as a cop when cops are generally expected to be college educated; especially so in the northeast, I don't think a department in NJ would even look at your app if you didn't have a BA with the exception of the decayed industrial cities, and with the State Police it was outright required to have either a BA or Associates + 2 years continuous work experience just to apply, and CJ degrees were looked down on with a preference to "real" college during the actual selection process. Not to say this in a judgemental way...more of just an observation.....but it's hard to say "it's tough to get hired as a cop" if you don't have a college education. You're kind of putting yourself in the "unwanted candidate" stack off the bat considering most others applying these days have college.

About what time period were you looking? If you're talking middle-to-late GWOT, yes, veteran's preference in many states and federal agencies really made it hard for those without vet pref. As TC215 noted, hiring is a chronic issue within the last 5 years or so.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Perhaps you are limiting your options by not considering a move from the NE.
    Ohio’s nice this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    There's usually a local PD cruiser parked on the sidewalk in front of the local WalMarts. It's been that way for a while now.
    There's a good reason for that. I've had my vehicle vandalized twice in a Walmart parking lot where I live. I emailed the corp office the first time and got no response. The second time it happened I took my business elsewhere. Lots of future parolees shop at Walmart.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Not having a ton of connections, it didn’t really seem possible in my home area of the rural northeast to get on with a department.
    I’m in NY. Feel free to PM and I’m happy to give you my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    There's an election coming up?
    Something that will pass as an election. Mostly a rerun. You're just going to suffer some more.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I've heard that parts of LA have never been rebuilt after the Rodney King riots. Those were in 1992.
    I don't know every part of where the LA riots destroyed, but I drove through there with my daughters two years ago and many of the areas that were shown on the news are back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    I think the civil unrest conveniently dissipates if Biden wins. Is the media likely to enthusiastically endorse continued unrest if he’s in office? I doubt it.
    During a panel discussion that aired Friday night, “Real Time” host Bill Maher offered a dire warning that violence will ensue regardless of who wins the November election. "Whoever wins in November — be it Trump or be it Joe — there’s gonna be blood in the streets, right?” Maher posed to the panel. “I mean, if Trump wins, I can’t imagine the kind of demonstrations we saw the last week not repeating themselves. And if he doesn’t win, we already know Trump’s statements. I can read you his statements about tough people… ‘I have the support of the police, the military, the bikers… I have the tough people. They don’t play it tough until they,’ meaning Democrats, ‘go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad.’ “That sounds to me like an invitation for the tough people to get in the streets,” Maher said.
    https://www.890kdxu.com/bill-maher-r...fter-election/

User Tag List