Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd: Cultural Shifts After June 2020

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    They did it on "The Wire" when they created "Hamsterdam" as the no-violence, drug zone for all to sell, purchase and partake within, as long as they followed the rules the cops created.
    Never seen "The Wire", I guess I could watch it, or just drive 4.5 hours and see it "live" in MN.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It wouldn't work here.

Thing is, British Constables are still enforcing laws and taking people into custody. They're mostly unarmed, though that number has increased significantly in the last decade (I think doubled, actually). It works in Britain because guns are not "a thing", there. Note that in Northern Ireland also part of the UK, police are very much armed (including the volunteer auxiliaries), including authority to carry off-duty.....because guns are a thing there.

You can't have people responsible for enforcing the law here that aren't armed. It's a losing proposition. If you want to replace law enforcement with a different mechanism that isn't effectuating arrests, have at it, but you still need armed cops in the US to effectuate arrests.
    I believe Canadian police are armed as well.

History doesn’t rhyme, but repeats? What rhymes with Capone and Dillinger? Meet the 2020s, same as the 1920s.

The twin cities have been down the lawless shelter road before, is all I’m saying.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Could the plan be something like British cops? The average street cop isn't armed, but if there is a special situation (hostage, active shooter, high-risk warrant), the call in their version of SWAT.

I'm not saying this is good or bad - I'm just wondering if this is the policing model that the advocates of defunding the police want.
    From what I'm seeing, for some, yes; and for some, no. Right now it's just a catch phrase with no consensus policy behind it. Answers range all the way from more community program funding and some degree of de-militarization, all the way out to actual anarchist abolition (and wouldn't that be fun!). The advocates right now don't agree on the meaning so who knows what it would look like in practice?

No offense, Rob, but that's a much more simplistic portrayal than reality, imho. Although, I've more than once have heard folks fall back on these arguments.

By the way, I've lived in South FL, (not the true south), and NC for many years now. My best friends in NC are native born and raised with family histories reaching back to the Civil War and the Revolution. In fact, one has a framed document from Lee to his men, (which his ancestor received personally following the Civil War), on the wall of his home.

I have never heard any of my friends, true sons of the south, use these arguments. That is not to say that they like Yankees and "halfbacks" that move to the area and tell folks how they did things up north and try to change the culture...but that's not a racial matter. It's a culture / values matter completely different than the issue of slavery.

I like the culture down here and have never sought to impose my world view on my neighbors. In fact, I wish I had lived here sooner.

Anyway...

The folks I know who keep KKK memorabilia around would be smart enough to hide it before you came over, Blues.

And they would be charming.

In my very White Carolina those arguments don't need to made. They are unstated assumptions.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    The folks I know who keep KKK memorabilia around would be smart enough to hide it before you came over, Blues.

And they would be charming.

In my very White Carolina those arguments don't need to made. They are unstated assumptions.
    There's talk about the KKK in the area I live in, more specifically a few miles away. There are racists and supremacists of various stripes scattered throughout the country. I've investigated many of these organizations to one extent or another from various angles...and most of 'em are more bark and bullshit than bite.

That doesn't mean they have no teeth...but for the most part they're pretenders. Every now and again we see what such knuckleheads are capable of.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

There's talk about the KKK in the area I live in, more specifically a few miles away. There are racists and supremacists of various stripes scattered throughout the country. I've investigated many of these organizations to one extent or another from various angles...and most of 'em are more bark and bullshit than bite.

That doesn't mean they have no teeth...but for the most part they're pretenders. Every now and again we see what such knuckleheads are capable of.

Oh they are hapless cowardly idiots around here. Nice big rap sheets for theft, trafficking, assault, etc. Not the brightest bulbs in the batch.

But plenty of folks buy the myth of the "old Klan" that "liberated the south from Yankee oppression."

There are 2 or 3 "Klans" between that one and modern day versions.

Nothing like the nationwide power the 2nd Klan had. The fictional radio exploits of a certain fictional character created by Jews made them seem stupid.....

Name:  Hitler.gif
Views: 323
Size:  27.9 KB

Nothing like have your son tell you he's playing "Superman fighting the Grand Dragon" to make the Grand Dragon have a rethink.

Captain America's creators had personal reasons for wanting Cap to punch Hitler in the face too.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 06-09-2020 at 02:24 PM.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Your baldness...

You'd probably enjoy reading, or may very well have read "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay" by Michael Chabon.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Your baldness...

You'd probably enjoy reading, or may very well have read "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay" by Michael Chabon.
    Jeez, how'd I miss that?

Thanks!

Just one more image....

Name:  index(11).jpg
Views: 316
Size:  15.7 KB

I think that picture kinda shows the Jack Kirby who got into "disputes" with his fists as a kid.

If ever a picture was worth a thousand words, that one is.

ETA: whoops, that's Michael Golden doing a great version of Jack's style. But I still stand behind my interpretation.

Jack's version was mellower.

Name:  index(12).jpg
Views: 301
Size:  11.4 KB
    Last edited by Baldanders; 06-09-2020 at 02:41 PM.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I believe Canadian police are armed as well.
    They are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List