Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd: Cultural Shifts After June 2020

Site Supporter
    Dan S

Edge of my lane as I am an interested observer with a cat bird seat re LEO hiring both local and Fed for the last 20+ years.

Sometimes it is a difference in degree as opposed to kind.

In good hiring times, if you are not a vet, having at least an associates degree was the floor in many departments, most of the time. Indeed, in my metro area, no promotion to SGT without at least an Asoc. No promotion to CAPT without a BA. In not so good times, "working toward it" or having a few steady years in a career field is enough.

In good hiring times, being a vet in lieu of college often meant looking at what branch and what you did. In not so good times, those with prior NON combat arms, MP, MI or IT exeperinece are often evaluated nearly as positively as those with----Vet=Vet, period.

I fully acknowledge there are exceptions to the rules I set forth above and policing (ergo hiring), to quote Pat Rogers (RIP) is very regional.

I will also say this, if you are interested in LE, ultimately get the BA even if you get hired without. Right, wrong or indifferent, the lack of a BA will be used against your career trajectory, for a variety of proper and/or less than proper reasons. Do not be low hanging fruit when you can help it.

The assumption is that this is the end of it. The Great Depression spurred revolution (violent and nonviolent) across the globe.
    This may be the end, or just the beginning.

Ironic.

When I tried to get my foot in the door in the middle to late 70's, it was because of affirmative action that my application, (despite my testing at 100% and other qualifications), was pushed further down the list. Then, when my uncle who was on NYPD advised me to go to the feds instead, I had to put a few years in within non-LEO slots before my opportunity arose. But I was ready when it did and made the most of it.

I had a good career in L.E. Did lots of stuff and had some significant cases, including one featured on 60 Minutes. When I started, I told another new guy I'd do the job for free. I wasn't lying.

After 20+ years and the handwriting on the wall I couldn't wait to get out and collect my pension. This was "then".

I can't even wrap my head around what it'll be like for future generations of L.E.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Not sure where you’re looking. It’s pretty well documented across the country that police departments are having difficulty filling the ranks. Departments are also becoming more and more lax on their background investigations (drug use, arrests, etc) to try to find people. There is a real issue with retention, as well.

https://www.policeone.com/hiring/art...2KdOMS3rTxqZm/

https://www.policeone.com/police-rec...YsLGblxg1tOQH/

https://www.policeone.com/leadership...UlQCyc7g9PkVQ/

https://www.policeone.com/recruitmen...HbQXsXPONZSpO/

https://www.policeone.com/recruitmen...B7yNZtZfSwQtK/
    Not having a ton of connections, it didn’t really seem possible in my home area of the rural northeast to get on with a department.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Not having a ton of connections, it didn’t really seem possible in my home area of the rural northeast to get on with a department.
    Jesus Christ, how rural is rural? I'm in the northeast, every agency in the area is hiring.

If you're exclusively looking at the small-town level, forget it, most of those are not going to train a guy, they're looking for laterals and retirees from county and state.

If your area is crazy-depressed, that's a different story, as law enforcement is so desirable. But even then, most places like that still can't find qualified applicants that can pass even the most cursory background check.

I definitely see one of the possible outcomes being a general urban to exurbs pattern. Covid has shown many that they can in fact work remotely. I don’t, however see a South African style gated community/private security contracting trend; unless, of course the unthinkable happens and some cities actually do decide to defund major police departments.

I predict that next year German Shepherds and Belgian Malinois will be the most popular dog breeds Seriously, though,
    so much of what happens next depends on who gets elected in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    I definitely see one of the possible outcomes being a general urban to exurbs pattern. Covid has shown many that they can in fact work remotely. I don’t, however see a South African style gated community/private security contracting trend; unless, of course the unthinkable happens and some cities actually do decide to defund major police departments.

I predict that next year German Shepherds and Belgian Malinois will be the most popular dog breed Seriously, though,
    There's an election coming up?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

John Correia has posted lots of videos from Brazil and South Africa. Ususally, they appear distinctive, compared to the American videos.

I'm thinking that, as time goes on, the differences will fade, and the videos' country of origin will be more and more difficult to guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post

I predict that next year German Shepherds and Belgian Malinois will be the most popular dog breeds Seriously, though,
    Between the two incompetents?

I don't think it matters much at all. Both are votes for "let's end the American experiment."
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    As someone that had an interest in pursuing that line of work, I didn’t seem to see a whole lot of opportunity to get my foot in the door without active duty or college credit.

What did I miss?
    I’d really appreciate PF LEOs helping this guy get hired. I’ll vouch for him.
    #RESIST

User Tag List