Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd: Cultural Shifts After June 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Jeez, how'd I miss that?
    Chabon also wrote The Yiddish Policeman's Union which won a ton of awards (Hugo, Nebula, Locus, yada). Police procedural alt-history where Europe's Jews were given a reservation in Alaska after WW2 instead of Palestine. Not as good as I was expecting from all the awards but still a good read.

https://www.amazon.com/YIDDISH-POLIC.../dp/B0034G7EKQ

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Chabon also wrote The Yiddish Policeman's Union which won a ton of awards (Hugo, Nebula, Locus, yada). Police procedural alt-history where Europe's Jews were given a reservation in Alaska after WW2 instead of Palestine. Not as good as I was expecting from all the awards but still a good read.

https://www.amazon.com/YIDDISH-POLIC.../dp/B0034G7EKQ
    I found it somewhat tedious and don't remember finishing it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    This book by Heather Mac Donald would be a great start. The chapters can be a bit repetitive but the statistics and data speak for themselves. It is eye opening and puts the lie to the false narrative with facts.

https://www.amazon.com/War-Cops-Atta.../dp/1594038759
    MacDonald's good stuff, as is City Journal, the publication from the Manhattan Institute where she's a Fellow and contributing editor.

Anyone open to the book rightly recommended by blues and isn't tracking City Journal would do well to have look; they're pushing things from the right, obviously, but with a far higher degree of intelligence and erudition than many of the carnival barker sites -- left and right -- driving much of the discourse these days.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Never for a moment have I thought disbanding or defunding police was a good idea. Training, yes. And that costs money. This book is at my library, the singularly excellent and wide ranging library of a major PNW city, and I’ve put a hold on it so will read it when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    MacDonald's good stuff, as is City Journal, the publication from the Manhattan Institute where she's a Fellow and contributing editor.

Anyone open to the book rightly recommended by blues and isn't tracking City Journal would do well to have look; they're pushing things from the right, obviously, but with a far higher degree of intelligence and erudition than many of the carnival barker sites -- left and right -- driving much of the discourse these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Short term, we will see a lot of glowing articles about how the new polices are working!! Full of statistics games and weasel words about how crime is down- well, reported crime, but that's down in the mice type.
    And they'll deny, deny, deny things are obviously going to hell, like they have in LA, San Fran, Detroit, and all the other Democratic People's Republics.
    Of course crime numbers go down when there's nobody to report it to... followed by "look at our incredibly low crime rate!"

Wasn’t sure which of the many threads to put this in. Mods feel free to move if there’s a better fit.

I’d never heard of Candace Owens. But I am super impressed!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fij8TP0FE00

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Temporarily closed so I can cull the Civil War stuff out into it's own thread.

Ok, reopened. If you want to re-fight the US Civil War and discuss the history, go here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-States-Rights

I left the statue/monument debate here as that does seem a cultural decision. Please limit that discussion to modern times.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 06-09-2020 at 07:29 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Of course crime numbers go down when there's nobody to report it to...
    Especially when you significantly narrow the parameters of what constitutes crime...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Especially when you significantly narrow the parameters of what constitutes crime...
    That's not quite as easy as you might think, or it isn't if you want any sort of federal funding eligibility. UCR/NIBRS doesn't care what your state laws are, you report the crime per UCR/NIBRS reporting rules. UCR wasn't bad, but NIBRS breaks things down further and the NIBRS critieria may or may not match what you'd charge somebody with in your state. What might be Criminal Deviate Conduct in your state may be Rape by NIBRS, or your state may not even have a law labeled "assault" but "assault - simple" would be the NIBRS code, etc.

The Feds do randomly audit as well. It's rare, but there are civil and criminal penalties for cooking the books. Reducing burglaries by labeling them thefts, that sort of thing.

Of course you could just refuse to take any reports...
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Student

Phoenix City Council votes to approve police oversight board

To be fair, the board itself was already approved in February. The real controversy was earlier when the city council couldn't pass a budget because there was a push to fund the board by cutting it directly from the police coffers.

No points for guessing where they got the money from instead.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...1-ea5308a0c96b

User Tag List